We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Highway 12 terror

Danville, California
Level Contributor
54 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Highway 12 terror

What's the best way to get from Torrey to Bryce avoiding steep drop-offs? How scary is Hogback? I'd love to see the rest of the road but am scared of heights. Thanks.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
41 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Highway 12 terror

The Hog's Back is not scary at all. I remember traveling it back when I was a child. It was not even paved back then, and we were pulling a trailer over it in a rainstorm in our '54 Chevy. Now that was scary. Today, there's nothing to be afraid of. It's a gorgeous drive -- one of the most scenic in the continental U.S.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,967 posts
413 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Highway 12 terror

Same thing, this is a fantastic drive with amazing views. It's not scary at all. It's really far easier than driving across a bridge.

Have fun, amazing part of the world.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,414 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Highway 12 terror

Look at your other Torrey post, I put a link to a hogsback video.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,827 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Highway 12 terror

Well, I can't say it isn't scary. The first time we drove the hogback I think I was screaming and on the floor of the car the whole time. (I think I get dramatic).

However, the next time I was really looking forward to it and hoping I would see what I missed the first time......I remember that feeling of stupification...."That was it?????" There was nothing to it. I couldn't believe I had been worried.

It is NOT a bad road. And if you actually look at the scenery and stop at the pull offs to take pictures you will be so glad you took the time.

The actual drive time is so short that it would be a shame for you to miss all the rest.

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
535 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Highway 12 terror

We are in Torrey overnight at Austin's right now....going to Cafe Diablo for dinner!! It is supposed to snow tonight @ Bryce, and we are taking Route 12 tomorrow in rain/thunder predicted! Are we nuts???

utah
Level Contributor
1,336 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Highway 12 terror

>>The first time we drove the hogback I think I was screaming and on the floor of the car the whole time. (I think I get dramatic).

lol Kbec, how did you ever make it to the top of the timp hike?

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,967 posts
413 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Highway 12 terror

No, should be fun!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,586 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Highway 12 terror

Don't fear it.

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,400 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Highway 12 terror

Marla, You should be fine on 12 tomorrow though there may be some wet snow at this end on Boulder Mountain. You don't really have a better alternative to get to Bryce because the road west out of Loa goes up just as high. Be sure to go by the little visitor center at the corner of 12 & 24 and pick up the new Scenic Byway 12 pamphlet.

Edited: 10 May 2011, 01:11
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,827 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Highway 12 terror

bc...<<lol Kbec, how did you ever make it to the top of the timp hike?>>

I was young and naive. Did I tell you we did the loop along the top over to the "glacier". Now that is still the scariest trail I've ever done. Room for my two feet and 2000 ft down! But really I have less fear if I am on my own feet. I didn't know Angel's Landing was scary until I started frequenting this forum.

Marla... wet roads mean you can get away with going slower so you'll have more time for the scenery!!