We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car service: Carmel or LimoRes.net, which one?

Sao Paulo,Brazil
Level Contributor
1,928 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Car service: Carmel or LimoRes.net, which one?

Opinions please. Comments are wellcome too.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,964 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car service: Carmel or LimoRes.net, which one?

I'll start with "it depends" and I do mean that. Why are you using a car service vs. just taking a taxi? Do you need a larger car b/c you're more people? Or are you looking for a "limo experience"?

I am the only one here who recommends limores (yet I have nothing to do with them). Carmel and Dial 7 are the 2 most popular cos. and I think they're both suffering from their popularity. They can't handle the volume of business. The cars and drivers are all private--meaning the co. doesn't own the cars. They merely feed business to these self employed drivers. So one trip/driver/car can be great while the next can be awful. It just depends. We're starting to hear more complaints about Carmel (cars not showing up, showing up very late etc.) but that's bound to happen with any popular service. Here's one negative post from this past June.

So what are you looking for?

Liverpool UK
Level Contributor
175 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car service: Carmel or LimoRes.net, which one?

Hi, apologies Paulista for jumping in on your thread but I am coming to New York in May and would like to ask nywhiz about getting a taxi vs a limo question.

What I would like to do is arrive at JFK and come out of the airport and jump in a car, give the driver the hotel details and sit back and watch the world go by.

Can I do that with a taxi and would that cost me about $50 (or so) or should I go for limores.net (or something similar).

I know that this is question often asked but if you could help me I would be grateful.

By the way we are staying at the Algonquin Hotel, 59 West 44th Street.

Thanks

England
Level Contributor
233 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car service: Carmel or LimoRes.net, which one?

When my husband and I arrived at JFk in september we just queued at the official taxi queue (dont get a cab from anywhere else, people will approach you but i have been advised not to use these as they are not always safe or licensed etc) for about 5 mins and jumped in a cab and watched the world go by as you described. I think we paid about $50 including tolls and tip, cant remember exact total. We are going back in April, this time with my parents so there will be 4 of us with a case each. I was wondering if a cab can squeeze 4 people in? Are you able to sit in the front seat of a cab? I know there are also what we call people carriers here in the uk which are larger cars with more seats but dont know how frequent these size cars are at the airport.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,964 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car service: Carmel or LimoRes.net, which one?

Scouser, there is virtually NO WAY to come out of the airport and jump into a car (without having to queue for a taxi or make a phone call for a car service) unless you have a regular car/driver who knows you and who you'd recognize outside. Depending on how busy it is when you arrive, the taxi line could be short and you could get into a cab fairly quickly. You'd tell the driver you're going to 44th st. between 6th & 5th at the Algonquin hotel.

The closest you can get with a car service is to order a car service/limo with "meet and greet" where the driver will be standing with a sign with your name on it as you exit with your luggage. You will pay extra for this, including any parking fees incurred AND if your flight is late, you'll pay for his waiting time. Depending on where he's parked, he will then either take your luggage and you will walk with him to his car OR he will say, wait here and I'll go and get the car and pick you up.

By not opting for meet and greet, the co./driver keeps track of your flight's arrival, you phone when you're out with luggage and they're supposed to arrive within 15 mins. If you use a car service limores.net or something better will be a better option for you than Carmel or Dial 7.

LoubelleG, a taxi will fit 4 people. It's the luggage that's always at issue. With 4 people (one sitting in front) it means all the cases have to fit in the trunk (boot) Depending on the size/number of cases it can work. There are some minivan type taxis not hard to get at the airport (one of you should alert the dispatcher at the front of the line). These are harder to find once in Manhattan so consider ordering a car service to go back to the airport.

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
1,979 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car service: Carmel or LimoRes.net, which one?

When I was in NYC March, 2006, we used A1 NYC Limos. Like the two others mentioned A1 hires owner owned limos, so the quality will depend on the individiual owner. For myself, the quality was fine, the driver was very pleasant and professional and the ride was fantastic (I ordered a limo because it was an anniversary trip and I wanted some opulence and champagne for the ride to the hotel.)

A1's prices on their website include meet and greet at the luggage area. You can also request a quote through their website which will include all charges so you know what your total cost will be.

As for my experience: The driver was there when promised; as I said, he was very nice and very professional; he helped us get the luggage to the curb, went to get the car and returned within 5 minutes. From the time we got the luggage until we were on our way was about 10 minutes total.

All I can vouch for is my individual experience and cannot promise all cars rented from A1 will be the same... But I had a very good trip with no problems at all.

And the NY State Champagne was excellent as well. :)

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
1,979 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car service: Carmel or LimoRes.net, which one?

Forgot to include this if you want to check them out.

a1-new-york-limos.com/Limousine_Rates.html

Also, there were two other forum posts about A1. One was not very complimentary and the other appeared to have a similar experience to mine. Search for A1 Limo in the NYC Forum.

Sao Paulo,Brazil
Level Contributor
1,928 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car service: Carmel or LimoRes.net, which one?

nywhiz, May be the answers to your questions won't be very clear, but anyway, here goes:

" Why are you using a car service vs. just taking a taxi?"

The main reason is my previous experiences with car services in NY were way much better than with cabs. Last time I took a taxi from JFK to my hotel the driver drove like a maniac. My wife was terrified when other drivers swear at us (it happened twice). Then there was once

this driver who didn't know where to go, etc. Of course there are good cab drivers, but I think my chances are better with a car service, I'm wrong?

"Do you need a larger car b/c you're more people?"

No.

"Or are you looking for a "limo experience"?"

Not at all. I had it twice already and liked. I'm not talking the stretched ones here, just a town car.

btw, I'm planning to use it TO the airport and to the Brooklyn cruise

pier.

tks for the replies

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,964 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car service: Carmel or LimoRes.net, which one?

For what you want, either will work. I prefer Limores but others are satisfied with Carmel. Dial7.com is another option. I'm not sure if they'll all go to the Brooklyn cruise terminal. Why not get quotes from them and decide.

Sao Paulo,Brazil
Level Contributor
1,928 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car service: Carmel or LimoRes.net, which one?

"Why not get quotes from them and decide"

I'll, tks nywhiz.

Level Contributor
12 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car service: Carmel or LimoRes.net, which one?

Does anyone have first hand experience with Cheap Limos? Their prices seem very reasonable, but I don't want to be "stood Up". I am taking my daughter to NYC for her college graduation gift, and wanted to go first class all the way. Any tips would be appreciated.