We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A British citizen crossing to Canada at Niagara

Stafford
Level Contributor
2 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
A British citizen crossing to Canada at Niagara

As a British citizen and a regular visitor to the USA I have experienced the delays at airports when entering the US.

I was wondering what would happen if I tried to cross into Canada at Niagara, (and obviously come back). Would the delays make this unworkable, or are there some different arrangements in this area?

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
132 reviews
from US$175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,098 reviews
from US$199.00*
US$214.00
New York in One Day Guided...
970 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,372 reviews
from US$36.00*
London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: A British citizen crossing to Canada at Niagara

Well you don't actually ''leave'' the US for immigration purposes, you re-enter on the same I94W you used previously. I found this out whilst flying back to the UK via Canada - you surrender the departurure record there and they sent it to the US authorities.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,854 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A British citizen crossing to Canada at Niagara

Crossing the USA/Canada border in a car, in either direction, you wil be in a line of traffic waiting to go through a check point that resembles a highway toll booth. The immigrations agent checks every car, the documents of every passenger in every car, and sometimes the luggage. There will certainly be some delays while you wait for eveyone in front of you to go through. How bad those delays will be on any given day is impossible to say.

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
1,712 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: A British citizen crossing to Canada at Niagara

Walked the Rainbow Bridge into Canada in 2005 and had no problems at all. Had to take my passport for the exit immigration office and "proof of departure booking" for the entry immigration. That is that I needed to have a copy of my e-ticket proving that I had a flight booked out of the US before they would let me back into the US! No delays at all though.

Helen in Aus

4. Re: A British citizen crossing to Canada at Niagara

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 04:16