We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice about travel from Heathrow

London, England
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Advice about travel from Heathrow

Hi

Am packing ready for my NY trip on Friday (although with my luck Heathrow will be snowbound and we won't get off as planned).

Can someone who has travelled from Heathrow in the last month please tell me how vigilent the security was as regards fluids over 100 ml in handbags, ziploc bags, hand luggage size etc. Not sure whether to decant some lotions into smaller bottles, or risk putting in hand luggage.

Also has anyone used the Virgin online check in - I've heard that the queue for the luggage drop off can be as long as that for checking in for the premium economy (got bargain tickets in the seat sale.) If this is the case I'll give it a miss.

Many thanks

Carina

Durham
Level Contributor
3,931 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice about travel from Heathrow

Flew 13th Jan - they are still very strict on fluid amounts particularly - I wouldn't risk it it's not worth loosing your stuff.

London, England
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice about travel from Heathrow

Thanks, I'll start decanting!

England
Level Contributor
233 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice about travel from Heathrow

They are v. strict. Had hand luggage searched twice. They opened up my camera and then made me take a photo with it etc. I have flown with Easyjet from Liverpool several times and I have lost a couple of bottles of shampoo and a lip balm that I forgot I was carrying. I couldnt even take a drink of water but could buy it when i got through to the gate though. Not worth the risk or the embarrassment of being told off!! It will take long enough to get through without the hassle of that. Shoes and belt still need to come off!

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,715 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice about travel from Heathrow

Be aware that even nearly empty tubes and bottles get thrown out if they started life at above the limit. This is also true on domestic flights in the USA.

Cannock, United...
Level Contributor
587 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice about travel from Heathrow

Tried the Virgin online checkin but could not get it too work. Flew 25th Jan. Need to specify where you are staying (what hotel and address at checkin so have that handy) security tight and as others have said they were taking even empty bottles off people. We took liquids (medical) and security were fine with it. Made us take our new trainers off.

In all fairness if it has to be done im happy, rather be safe and an extra 10 minutes going through security/

6. Re: Advice about travel from Heathrow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 21:17