We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WHEN to go to canal street?

Inver Grove...
Level Contributor
20 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
WHEN to go to canal street?

We only have a Sunday in NYC, can we still expect to see the goods on canal street?!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: WHEN to go to canal street?

Yes, just not early in the morning or in the evening.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: WHEN to go to canal street?

NEVER!- it's trashy tat in an unpleasant atmosphere funding organised crime.

dublin,ireland
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: WHEN to go to canal street?

yep-you'll still see stuff then.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: WHEN to go to canal street?

I personally find Canal Street to be horrible, cheap, often counterfeit goods, but people seem to want to go there. I really would suggest HIGHLY doing something else with only one day in New York, but if you must everything will be open

Ohio
Level Contributor
8,833 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: WHEN to go to canal street?

One day in NYC....that would be the last place I'd pick to see.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: WHEN to go to canal street?

I don't go to Canal Street. There's something about it that seems a little shifty and I choose not to be involved.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: WHEN to go to canal street?

However, Chinatown (which includes Canal Street) is pretty interesting.

I was just there this Saturday, and the whole area is gearing up for Lunar New Year! Wow, so many red things, decorations, special candy, etc.

http://explorechinatown.com/

Yesterday, I realized I'd been carrying around these candies in ittle red cardboard cylinders shaped like firecrackers, with a wick and everything (VERY REALISTIC). I had to go through an office-building security check and empty out my pockets...and I was NOT stopped at all. They didn't even bat an eyelash. Hmmmm...

I also bought this "Chinese glutinous rice and taro New Year cake" - erm, not exactly my taste, but interesting nonetheless. Kinda gummy. Maybe it will bring me good luck?

8. Re: WHEN to go to canal street?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 09:18