We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Off the Beaten Path

West Hartford, CT
Level Contributor
377 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Off the Beaten Path

Hello

Just starting to plan our fourth annual trip to the City for a Girls' Weekend (ages 25-60 mom, sisters, sisters-in-law)

We are looking for must-do suggestions for people who have done lots of the 1st timers "must-do's"

We have already discovered and enjoyed

River Cafe

Tavern on the Green

Rainbow Room

The Boat house

Empire State Building (great)

Top of the Rock (great)

Times Sqaure (always changing and different)

Statue of Liberty (fabulous)

Ellis Island

Ground Zero (moving)

Wall Street (interesting)

St. Pauls (beautiful and moving)

Central Park- zoo skating in Wollman, Gondola Ride, carriage rides

We have done the S_x and the City Tour (great)

Last year we rented a limo to do a cross-city "looking" adventure:

Battery Park, Washington Square Park, Rockefeller Center

Any great suggestions!! Thank you so much!!! We LOVE NYC

rqf
New York City
Level Contributor
1,504 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Off the Beaten Path

You didn't mention any museums. There are close to a hundred in NYC. If you haven't already done it start with the Metropolitan Art museum

Walk the Brooklyn Bridge

Visit the Bronx Zoo and/or the Botanical Garden, also in the Bronx.

The Cloisters museum

Durham
Level Contributor
3,931 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Off the Beaten Path

How about exploring Brooklyn and then walking the bridge as suggested above?

Have you done chinatown, soho, greenwich village, the east village etc?

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Off the Beaten Path

How about the theater - at any given time there are 150 to 200 live theatrical performances in NYC.

Check www.broadwaybox.com - or - www.theatermania.com for discount tickets - much more civilized than waiting in line at TKTS.

I second the museum idea, some of the world's best - one of my fav's is the Guggenheim.

Poppa

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,029 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Off the Beaten Path

I think a lunch or dinner cruise would be the next addition to your first group. Bateaux NY is considered the best.

The Tenement Museum is very popular and will put you on the lower east side where you can explore some discount shops and also some newer hip restaurants. Don't go on a Fri. afternoon or Sat. though since many of the shops will be closed. The Tenement Museum needs a reservation.

The food tours are a popular way to both learn about an area and sample lots of different food. Foodsofny.com is one people like. Bigonion.com also does one.

There's also a fun literary pub crawl of the village.

http://www.bakerloo.org/pubcrawl/index.htm

If you're not big into art museums, I suggest a visit to the Frick. It's small and manageable and is in a historic mansion.

frick.org

Agree on a show. Mama Mia is fun for a female group. There are often discounts on broadwaybox.com for it.

West Hartford, CT
Level Contributor
377 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Off the Beaten Path

Okay- Great Suggestions so far!

We have walked the Brooklyn Bridge and each year we see a show or two. It looks like this year it will be Jersey Boys

I am adding the Cloisters to our list. I love the idea of doing Brooklyn well (Grimaldis and some of the sites over there)

Are there any not to miss tours of the other neighborhoods or is poking around on your own the best way (one of the members of our group has some limited mobility).

We may do MoMa and Guggenheim, though not everyone loves museums. We are also going to try to do the Tenement Museum. I love the idea of a food tour as well.

Keep the ideas coming- this is great!!!

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,562 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Off the Beaten Path

What about getting a pack of the City Walks cards?

You can order them online or get them at bookshops. They cover every area and a just a bit bigger than a playing card, on one side is a map of the route and on the other is a description of the route you're walking along with places of interest along the way.

http://tinyurl.com/ywdsr3

Have you read through some trip reports? I tend to get my inspiration from them.

Another good post was the UB (unfinished business) list

http://tinyurl.com/yofvfz

Saskatoon...
Level Contributor
218 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Off the Beaten Path

You can also buy the New York Walks cards at the New York Public Library, either when you get to NYC or on-line.

If a food tour interests you and your interested in Brooklyn, check out the A Slice of Brooklyn Pizza tour; http://bknypizza.com/.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Off the Beaten Path

How about pairing a visit to the Tenement Museum with a visit to the not-nearly-as-well-known Old Merchant's House musuem, to see how the opposite end of the social scale lived?

http://www.merchantshouse.com/

And you could, in fact, walk from one to the other if the weather is fine...

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Off the Beaten Path

Here are some previous discussions on things to do for repeat visitors. They include those ideas already mentioned, such as the Tenement Museum, dining cruise, walking tours, Citwalks cards, etc.

If you enter the word "repeat" in the search box, you find more similar threads.

Many have great sub-posts and websites. Have fun!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k271510-… New_York_for_the_3rd_time-

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k431454-… Trip_Report_19_24_January_2006-

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k523037-… Park_Slope_Brooklyn_is_it_worth_a_visit-

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k12806-N… _New_York_hidden_gems_and_alternative_sights-

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k494485-… offbeat_things_to_do_in_NYC-

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k947902-…

Not_obvious_NYC_must_see_or_do_places

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k943424-…

4th_visit_to_NY_what_to_do-

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k72495-O…

Off_the_beaten_track-

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,144 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Off the Beaten Path

I second Ange's suggestion of the "City Walks:NewYork" cards. They encourage you to explore neighborhoods that you may not otherwise think to do so.