We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need help choosing budget clean hotel

canada
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
need help choosing budget clean hotel

My husband and I have a trip planned for NYC in Sept and are having a hard time choosing a good clean budget hotel in a location where we can see alot of the city by subway or walking. A friend suggested the Walcott. We're not sure as the reviews of the hotel on this site were not favorable. Any suggestions?

New York, NY
Level Contributor
9,648 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: need help choosing budget clean hotel

What is your budget, so that other recommendations can be made.

As far as the Wolcott, I had friends who stayed there last month and thought it was fine. I saw the room, it was ok, but the bathroom was quite small. It is near the Empire State Building.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,067 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: need help choosing budget clean hotel

You can't beat the Radio City Apartments for price and location. Info at:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60763-d1397…

Link and Scroll down for the traveler reviews. Click on CHECK RATES for current room rates.

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: need help choosing budget clean hotel

I loved Newton (Upper West Side) and now I have booked Herald Square Hotel for my next visit in May. HSH gets favorable reviews here.

Durham
Level Contributor
3,931 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: need help choosing budget clean hotel

I second the Radio City Apartments and I've also stayed at the Newton which was good. If you are happy to share a toilet (you get your own shower/sink) look at Chelsea Lodge www.chelsealodge.com. That was possibly the cleanest place I've ever stayed in! Lovely location in Chelsea BUT the rooms are small but the price is good :)

yorkshire uk
Level Contributor
151 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: need help choosing budget clean hotel

Hampton Inn madinson sq gardens. we have just re-booked this hotel after spending five nights there at new year. Perfect location 10 mins walk to times sq, 2 mins walk to penn station. Lovely hotel , clean .staff friendly , great complimentry breakfast. highly recommend

Uppsala, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,770 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: need help choosing budget clean hotel

Hi

We stayed at the Hotel 31 and it was ok for the money. Great staff and rather clean and the location is really good. We payed about 150 USD/ night with tax.

Have a great time

Matte75

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,395 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: need help choosing budget clean hotel

I think if the radiocityapartments.com are available, there's no better budget option for clean, central location and space.

After that, it really depends on when you're coming as prices do fluctuate. There are some decent budget places near Macy's like

Herald Square

Red Roof Inn

Stanford

and yes the Wolcott is in this area too. I think the Wolcott is the least attractive from this list but there are many worse in the area that you should really AVOID like the Pennsylvania, the Ramada New Yorker and the Carter--just terrible. I don't like this area, but tourists find it convenient.

The Travel Inn is not a bad budget option and is the only place in NYC with free parking if you happen to be driving. It's owned by the same co. that owns the Newton, mentioned above, and in a much more central location (although the location of the Newton is more attractive I think).

The Eastgate Tower, part of the Affinia.com group is usually very affordable either on the affinia.com website and sometimes even less on quikbook.com

canada
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: need help choosing budget clean hotel

Thanks everyone for the good suggestions. I checked into the Radio City Apartments since they had such rave reviews on this site and was disappointed to find no vacanies on hotel.com or priceline or expedia etc. However, I phoned them directly this morning and have a studio apartment booked for a week in September at $180 a night. I am so excited- to have the extra convience of a kitchenette and a sitting area should be fantastic. Thanks everyone- I'll be sure to post my review later!

9. Re: need help choosing budget clean hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 04:18