We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommend good Italian Rest. in Theatre District?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
291 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Recommend good Italian Rest. in Theatre District?

Can anyone reco a good Italian rest. in the theatre district. I'm not interested in the ones the "tourists" like to go to. I used to live in NYC, but I'm interested in insider opinions. Recently ate in Cascina in Hell's Kitchen. First time was great and nice trattoria atmosphere. Second time not so good. This time I'm planning to eat at Scarlato's, but I'd welcome any input. I can always change the reservation!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommend good Italian Rest. in Theatre District?

The favorite Italian spot for foodies around there is Esca, at 43rd and 9th. Esca is a Mario Batali & co. restaurant run by David Pasternack. (If you're a New Yorker reader, he's the chef they profiled a couple of years back who catches much of the fish that he serves in the restaurant.) Their speciality is crudo, which is the Italian form of sushi. Their site is:

www.esca-nyc.com

New York City...
Level Contributor
119 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommend good Italian Rest. in Theatre District?

Is Esca is out of your price range you may want to consider Becco $21.95 prix fixe all-you-can-eat pasta orgy, solid service and $20 btls of wine. www.becconyc.com

Also, Scarlatto: www.scarlattonyc.com

Check reviews and find other places at www.munepages.com

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
291 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommend good Italian Rest. in Theatre District?

Thanks for quick replies. Of the 3 restaurants--Esca (sp), Becco (which is the one I was going to book), and Scarlatto--which would be your choice? Atmosphere wise--I like the "warm" trattoria feeling which Cascina had in spades--exposed brick walls, fireplace, that sort of thing...maybe it wasn't a fireplace--brick oven...I don't know, I'm losing it! From the photo of Scarlatto, it didn't look like the "warmest" environment. Passing Becco the last few times to the theatre, it looks like the trattoria type, but when I read the latest Zagat review and the prixe-fixe thing, I interpreted it to mean, "touristy" even though it gets good reviews and looks really nice.

4. Re: Recommend good Italian Rest. in Theatre District?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 07:21