We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peter Lugers

Cantonment, Florida
Level Contributor
304 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Peter Lugers

A friend of ours suggested we eat at Lugers . I didn't realize that it was in Brooklyn and was wondering how far it was from Grand Central Station? Would it be considerably cheaper to take the subway close to the Brooklyn bridge and then catch a taxi to Lugers, or is it even worth the trouble? Also, we will be there in two weeks, should we make a reservation or do you think it is too late? What would be a good "off time" to go?

thanks

g8trzz

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,709 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Peter Lugers

Have a read here.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k1024884…

Luger's is not near Brooklyn Bridge. There are directions on their website for getting there by subway (I've never done it).

http://peterluger.com/plugers-broklyn.htm

Take F Train downtown to Delancey Street. Go upstairs and transfer to the J, M, Z Train over the Williamsburg Bridge to Marcy Avenue (First stop over the bridge). Walk on Broadway towards the East River to Peter Luger at 178 Broadway.

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
5,746 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Peter Lugers

Peter Luger's is just over the Williamsburg, not Brooklyn Bridge, in Brooklyn. I will leave it to others to give subway directions. (We drive and park).

If you want to eat there for dinner, a reservation is mandatory. Frankly, I think you are too late to get a decent seating time, but you may as well call and find out, right?

A better option in my opinion is to have lunch there. Same great steak, and it frees up an evening.

Remember it is cash only, no credit cards (except Luger's own in house credit card for frequent diners) so bring plenty of it.

Don't expect great atmosphere. Expect an older, historic, no frills building.

Luger's is all about one thing: Porterhouse steak. The menu posts it succinclty: Steak for 1, steak for 2, and so on.

It is not a good choice for vegans.

Side dishes are a la carte. French fries are quite good... german potatoes (like hash browns are so-so but very popular). It is worth ordering a slice of bacon as an appetizer just to try it. The tomato and onion salad is nothing special because tomatoes aren't in season right now, but the tomato slice will be large.

Creamed spinach is a popular side dish. It's okay.

Desserts: Strudel, Key Lime Pie, Hot Fudge Sundae... very good.

Wine list... a complete joke. Beer is better, ask for the house brew.

Cantonment, Florida
Level Contributor
304 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Peter Lugers

Wow, thanks for the quick response!! I just got off Menupages and was looking at the menu from Lugers. The menu shows Steak for one, two, etc. Am I to understand that it is only one cut of steak....the porterhouse? I like steak but I don't usually eat large portions....how big would you say it is? The only thing you get is the steak, no fries, or salad unless you order separately....right?

Thanks again and I promise I will be sure to right a trip report when we return!!

g8trzz

Cantonment, Florida
Level Contributor
304 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Peter Lugers

I should have read your post a little closer voyager, I saw where you said lugers is all about porterhouse...

thanks

g8trzz

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
5,746 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Peter Lugers

How many of you are dining? Just order steak for that many people... And yes, you will get porterhouse. A porterhouse is a filet mignon and a sirloin attached by a bone, like a T Bone Steak only bigger.

Now there is an excpetion to what I just said... If you only order steak for one, you will get a sirloin, not a porterhouse.

And yes, the steak comes with nothing else, side dishes are a la carte. Visit Peter Luger's Web site at peterluger.com for more info.

This is why Luger's is not for everyone. For those expecting pretty atmosphere, sophistication, a large and varied menu, kind and attentive service, nice cocktails and wine.... Don't go here. Peter Luger's does not have that.

What Luger's does have: Porterhouse steak. Dry-aged and cooked very very nicely. And not just any porterhouse, but the top porterhouse from the top butcher. The best of the best. What you will see here: Business people tucking into steaks. It is all about the steak.

Manhattan Luger alternatives: Sparks, BLT Steak or BLT Prime, Keen's, Porter House, Wolfgang's, Del Frisco's, Smith and Wollensky.... and many more...

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Peter Lugers

I just think that there are so many GREAT places to get steak in Manhattan that you should explore those avenues as well. To me, not having the option for a nice bottle of wine with my meal would be a shame.

BLT Steak, CraftSteak, StripHouse, Sparks, Rothmann's, Dylan Prime, Del Frisco's, Frankie & Johnnie's, Maloney & Porcelli, Smith & Wollensky, Morton's, Michael Jordan, The Palm.... the list goes on and on! You can find old-school no-frills boys-club or you can find elegant, upscale, hip - but either way, they'll offer more diversity in both the food and the wine.

Just a thought. Zagat.com, MenuPages.com, OpenTable.com, Citysearch.com are all helpful.

Bon Appetit!

NYC, USA
Level Contributor
156 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Peter Lugers

Many precise points here. A few notes.

Someone suggested they have no wine list. They do.

Obviously opinions are subjective, but as far as I'm concerned, NO OTHER STEAKHOUSE produces as good a product day in and day out. Lugers is consistently the best there is, period!

They also make an excellent salmon steak and lamb chops.

No one mentioned the pecan pie....good God, the pecan pie! (with schlag of course)

Dinner should run about $75-$85 pp with one drink (plus or minus). A cab from Grand central is probably $20 (each way). I'd suggest you take one rather than the subway.

As someone mentioned, reservations for prime evenings (they all seem to be prime) need to be made months in advance. Call ahead and see if you can find an early (5:45PM or earlier) or late (9:45PM or later) on a Monday-Wednesday (reservations are :45 minutes after the hour). If you can, reseerve a weekend lunch. Same food.

Cantonment, Florida
Level Contributor
304 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Peter Lugers

I actually don't even drink , so I am really not concerned about whether or not they serve any alcohol ! But I do appreciate the posts! There will only be 2 of our group that will probably be going....my curiousity has certainly won me over so I am definitely going to try to book a reservation in the latter part of the afternoon. I would prefer to eat something that big earlier in the day anyway! Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou, once again!

g8trzz

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
5,746 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Peter Lugers

Just to clarify, I said the wine list is a complete joke... and don't expect nice cocktails and wine.... I didn't mean to imply there is no wine at all.

I like the steak very much at Luger's, and I think it is worth making a pilgrimmage there if it is your goal to try what may be some of the best in the country.

Just keeping expectations realistic.

And yes, pecan pie is quite good....didn't like the schlag...tasted like cool whip to me... prefer ice cream on the pie.

At lunch they serve a nice burger too.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,152 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Peter Lugers

Luger's website (www.peterluger.com) recommends making reservations at least 2 weeks in advance. That's what we did but we like to eat early. Perhaps the later dinner hours get booked quickly. Check out their website--you can see the menu there. And I agree--it is great steak!