We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paying for hotel...??

shropshire
Level Contributor
317 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Paying for hotel...??

We are staying at radio City Apartment in April and wondered if it was ok to pay for the hotel room with travellers cheques?

I understand we would need credit card info to book the room but really dont want to pay with it.

Thanks

Annie

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Paying for hotel...??

There's an email address and phone number on their web site in case you want to ask them directly.

http://www.radiocityapts.com/

shropshire
Level Contributor
317 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paying for hotel...??

Thank you Bettina.

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
8,010 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paying for hotel...??

From my experience the hotels that I have stayed in in the US have all accepted travellers checks as a form of payment. What I do is let them swipe my card and then tell them that I intend to pay by Travellers checks at the end of my stay . I always something like "if that's OK" that way they won't debit your card for the full amount at the start of your stay. If they do debit the card you could always ask for a credit explaining that you had already told the front desk that you intended to pay either with cash or travellers checks. Most hotels are happy to cash travellers checks on a daily basis for their guests but they do usually have a $100 limit per room.

Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
475 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paying for hotel...??

Whenever we have stayed at the Radio city apts. we have always had to pay when we checked in. I saw other people paying with travellers cheques. If you pay on your credit card though you will probably get a better exchange rate.

Durham
Level Contributor
3,931 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paying for hotel...??

I agree with the above poster - this is particularly the case if you have a Nationwide credit card as you are not penalised for using it abroad - it's the only one that doesn't charge you. If you can save the money at home and use a card if you have one and then pay it off when the bill comes :)

shropshire
Level Contributor
317 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paying for hotel...??

Thanks for the advice,that was my feeling too,but hubbies an old fashioned guy!! Will sell it to him though.......

Newcastle upon...
Destination Expert
for Newcastle upon Tyne
Level Contributor
1,778 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paying for hotel...??

Apparently the Post Office mastercard are now advertising 0% commission charge on purchases abroad also.

Peterhead, United...
Level Contributor
338 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paying for hotel...??

ljg - I've seen several references to Nationwide on this site - Is this a reference to the Nationwide Debit card or is there a Nationwide Credit card as well?

Sunderland, United...
Destination Expert
for Sunderland
Level Contributor
6,805 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paying for hotel...??

Nationwide have both a FlexAccount (with debit card ) and a credit card. Neither charge a conversion fee when used abroad.

Peterhead, United...
Level Contributor
338 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paying for hotel...??

Excellent Daisiegee - I have a Flex account & I will now obtain a credit card. Thanks for clearing this wee mystery up for me.