We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tickets to David Letterman

Harpster, Ohio
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tickets to David Letterman

What is the best way to get tickets to this show? I checkout the website but it did not give much info., especially the price. Any suggestions are very appreciated. Thanks!!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,512 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tickets to David Letterman

Tickets are free. You have to fill out an online form or go there in person or call. You need a local telephone number so has the # of your hotel available.

cbs.com/latenight/lateshow/show_info/tickets/

Here's a page that gives the ins and outs.

…about.com/od/tvtapings/p/david_letterman.htm

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
948 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tickets to David Letterman

Here's a recent TA thread that links to the story of a reporter who tried to get tickets for Letterman and other recordings - gives you a good idea of what to expect!:

tripadvisor.com/…6126277

Albuquerque NM
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tickets to David Letterman

Can anyone give a free version of what the article says. It costs 4.95. Not wanting to sound cheap or anything, but....

Little Rock, AR
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tickets to David Letterman

I got tickets for the Letterman show back in June 2005. I went on the website in March and signed up for tickets, giving my cell phone as the phone number, and giving the dates I'd be in NYC. I never heard back from them before my trip and just assumed I wasn't getting tickets. After getting to NYC, my husband and I were out shopping one morning when my cell phone rang--it was the Letterman show with a "trivia question." If answered correctly, we would get tickets and could pick if we wanted them for the following day or day after that. We got the question right (it was either "who is allen" or "what does Allen do?"--he's the announcer) and were told what time to come to the theater.

I don't remember exactly what time they told us to come to the theater, but it was early afternoon. We waited in line to get to the front and give our names. While in line, we asked one of the interns to take our picture in front of the sign. She did but then she also gave us some special "ticket" and this ended up enabling us to get to sit near the front of the theater, about 3 rows back from the stage. She said we acted "enthusiastic!" Anyway, I remember that we did a lot of waiting in line, then had our names checked off, then were given some instructions about how to act on the show, and then told what time to return for the taping.

We returned later that afternoon and did more waiting (also got more direction about how to act during taping) and then got into the show. It seems like the taping actually took place around 4 or 4:30. They only take up one hour for the actual taping. After that, you're on your way again. It was all a lot of fun and I'm glad we had the experience. Looking back, I realized that we did spend quite a bit of time waiting in various lines, but we had the time to spare that day and didn't mind. So, if you want to go, sign up on the website, give them the dates you'll be in town, and then give them either your cell number or your hotel number. Chances are, you'll get called. Good luck!

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
948 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tickets to David Letterman

Ukwannabe - did you mean the NY Times article? I just have a free registration with them and I'm able to view the article (don't worry, I wouldn't want to pay 4.95 either!). It's a lengthy article about several New York based recordings, so I'm just pasting in the bit about the reporter's experience at Letterman (it's actually about getting standy tickets rather than pre-booking):

"I was still cold when I left “The Daily Show” studio about 7:10, and I was dreading even worse chills for “Late Show With David Letterman,” on CBS. About 4.1 million people watch Mr. Letterman on an average night, more than six times as many as watch “The Daily Show.” For a standby hopeful, that means serious competition for those scant extra seats.

To get standby tickets for “Letterman,” you must call at 11 a.m. and correctly answer a trivia question about the show. I haven’t been a regular watcher of it since high school, and the question I was asked — Who is Rupert Jee? — I couldn’t answer. (He’s the proprietor of the Hello Deli, around the corner from the studio.) But the man on the other end said: “Not a problem. Your number is 24. Come to the Ed Sullivan Theater at 53rd and Broadway at 3:30.”

I never had to give my number. When I arrived I was handed a ticket — a real ticket — and told to wait around the corner in the Roseland Ballroom. At 11 degrees, it was just too cold for an outside line, they said. Holding ticket No. 317, I waited in comfort on Roseland’s dance floor, where word got around that the guests on the show would be Dr. Phil and Fall Out Boy. At 4:15 we were led to the theater by the show’s pages, this time all young men in Worldwide Pants varsity jackets, after Mr. Letterman’s production company, and crossed 53rd Street like a family of ducks.

The intricate Gothic Revival interior of the Ed Sullivan Theater, built in 1927, is worth the trip alone. Inside, “Late Show” has the greatest audience capacity of all, with about 460 seats on two levels. But Mr. Letterman’s off-camera manner was brusque, and being there was not much different from watching it on television."

Albuquerque NM
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tickets to David Letterman

Thanks translucentlavender. I too have a free registration, but when I clicked on the link, this is what I got:

FREE PREVIEW | Permissions

CHEAP SEATS; Live From New York, It's Cold People Waiting in Line

*Please Note: Archive articles do not include photos, charts or graphics. More information. February 16, 2007, Friday

By BEN SISARIO (NYT); Movies, Performing Arts/Weekend Desk

Late Edition - Final, Section E, Page 1, Column 1, 2564 words

DISPLAYING ABSTRACT - I THOUGHT I deserved it. But the hour and a half I spent on wind-whipped 49th Street in Manhattan two weekends ago, hunched in the predawn freeze with 100 other people, turned out to be a weak, amateur effort. That kind of commitment may be enough -- barely -- ...

To read this archive article, upgrade to TimesSelect or purchase as a single article.

What is TimesSelect?

Home Delivery subscribers,

Upgrade to TimesSelect for free now

Not a newspaper subscriber?

Start your 14 day free trial to TimesSelect now.

Purchase Single Article - $4.95

Upgrade to - $7.95 per month

Includes 100 articles from The Archive (8¢ per article)

Upgrade to - $49.95 per year

Includes 1200 articles from The Archive (4¢ per article)

Pa
Level Contributor
42 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tickets to David Letterman

The best way to get tickets is probably by signing up on the internet with the dates you are going to be in the city. I have gotten 2 sets that way. I also signed up 2 other times withour receiving a call for tickets. So you just don't know.

I tried the stand-by approach on my first visit to the City. My husband and I had standby ticket #1&2 and still didn't get in. But that was during the Christmas season. You may have better luck if you aren't visiting during a peak time.

Also you can go to the studio and get tickets. The last time we were there, about 4 weeks ago, we saw the sign outside the Ed Sullivan Theater showing tickets available.

A lady we met in line got her ticket from an intern who was down in TS around 1pm looking for people to go to the show. She has gotten her tickets that way 4 differnt times.

Good Luck. We enjoyed the show but be prepared to "waist" the better part of the day coming back and forth to wait in a line before the show actually tapes.

Albuquerque NM
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tickets to David Letterman

thanks for the info. We put our information in under two different names for the internet tickets, but have heard nothing.

Not sure I care enough to waste the better part of the day. I only get to NYC every 20 years or so, lol.

Albany, New York
Destination Expert
for Albany
Level Contributor
2,314 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tickets to David Letterman

I have gone once and my wife has gone twice. Both times she got tickets from an intern on a street corner a few blocks south of the theater. Look for a college age kid holding a clip board and be able to answer a trivia question about the show.

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
1,949 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tickets to David Letterman

UKwannabe,

When I got tickets we were called about a week ahead of our requested date. From other posts I've seen on Tripadvisor, this is not at all unusual, so I wouldn't worry too much if you don't hear anything until just befor your trip.

Good luck!