We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brookyln Bridge and water taxis and pizza

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Brookyln Bridge and water taxis and pizza

Just how long of a walk is it over the Brooklyn Bridge to Grimaldi's? I see a lot of people suggest taking a cab there then walking back. I'm assuming this is because the walk back is more interesting because of the view of Manhattan, or is it because it's a really long hike? Would it be more fun for my niece and I to take a water taxi there, and if so do they drop you off very close to the pizza place? I missed all this area the first time I was in NYC, so I definitely want to do it this time. Thanks all!

Lori

SZ
Covington, KY
Level Contributor
204 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brookyln Bridge and water taxis and pizza

Once you have walked over the bridge to Brooklyn it is only an additional 5-10 minutes to Grimaldi's.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
9,648 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brookyln Bridge and water taxis and pizza

The water taxi lets you off at Fulton Landing, which is 1/2 block away from Grimaldi's. From there, you can walk back into Manhattan over the bridge.

What I would do - take the subway to Brooklyn Heights, have a look around one of the most gorgeous neighborhoods in NYC, walk the promenade for spectacular city views, head to Grimaldi's, then walk back to Manhattan over the bridge. It is approx a 1 mile walk.

A little slice of heaven, IMHO.

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,665 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brookyln Bridge and water taxis and pizza

I couldn't agree more with NYCGirl. It is now a "must do" whenever anyone visits from out of town. I loved it, my three kids (ages 9, 11 and 13) loved it, our friends who travel extensively around the world and have seen so many interesting places and eaten in so many interesting restaurants loved it, my dear hubby who travels the world in the travel industry loved it. It is just such a unique experience and so very New York. The Brooklyn neighborhood is lovely, the pizza is delish and the walk across the bridge is refreshing and beautiful. Watch as you walk the bridge, it isn't generally tourists on the bridge. It appears to be locals taking their walk, walking their dog, jogging, chatting with friends on a stroll. It's fantastic! Moms

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brookyln Bridge and water taxis and pizza

I've heard the lines for a table at Grimaldi's can be long. Is it close enough that we could get our pizza to go, and eat it from a bench on the promenade?

Also, we will be there for the 4th of July. How is it viewing fireworks from the promenade or the bridge? Or is it allowed?

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brookyln Bridge and water taxis and pizza

I doubt you see many people saying to take a cab there, because taxis generally can't find the place (hey, it's in Brooklyn; what do you expect -- that cab drvers actually know where anything is? Guess again...) Instead, you will see people recommending that you take either the water taxi or the subway there, and then walking the Bridge back. Whether you walk to Brooklyn or walk to Manhattan, the Bridge is the same length in each direction (and that is slightly over one mile); the reason most people walk towards Manhattan is not because the westbound trip is (or even could be) any shorter than the eastbound, but because you are facing Manhattan, instead of looking at it over your shoulder.

I agree, though, with the advice to explore Brooklyn Heights first -- take the subway either to Clark Street or to Borough Hall/Court Street, and wander.

Here are some directions:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k866178-…

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Brookyln Bridge and water taxis and pizza

Oh, and about the fireworks --

You will not be allowed on the Bridge during the fireworks.

Most of the barges will be out of sight up the East River (with the fireworks best viewed from the FDR Drive, which gets closed for the occasion, or from the Queens waterfront opposite) , but there might be one by the Statue of Liberty that might be partly visible from Brooklyn Heights.

England
Level Contributor
233 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Brookyln Bridge and water taxis and pizza

You need the walk after grimaldi's to get rid of the guilt after eating the pizza!!! we got there for 12 noon on the dot which happened to be their openening time. There was a queue of about 20 people but we got in ok. When the left the queue was longer outside. Get the water taxi from south street seaport. It is only a minute ride.

Stuck in North Texas
Level Contributor
729 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Brookyln Bridge and water taxis and pizza

GreenWhiteBlue,

Fantastic thread. Thanks for posting it for us. Lots of info that I needed.

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Brookyln Bridge and water taxis and pizza

Thanks all. Is Grimaldi's close enough to the Promenade that we can get carryout and eat it there?

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,665 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Brookyln Bridge and water taxis and pizza

I wouldn't get carry out. The restaurant isn't decorated in a particularly beautiful way but it is just so... authentic...It is part of the atmosphere of eating that great pizza. It will likely be very crowded during the 4th of July time period but get there early, bring a water bottle to keep cool and then enjoy the pizza and good Brooklyn Lager! Moms