We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Discount Codes vs. Buying Now?

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
581 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Discount Codes vs. Buying Now?

I've been watching broadwaybox.com for discount codes, but not seeing them yet for May. I want to see Spamalot & Avenue Q. So far, when codes are put up, they are for a short time only, like maybe 2-3 weeks.

My question is, would it be better to keep waiting for discount codes on these 2 shows or should I just get the tickets now before they possibly sell out? Since both shows are so popular & May is a popular time to visit NYC, I'd hate to miss out because I waited too long.

When I check broadway.com for last minute ticket availability, Spamalot is almost always listed, whereas Avenue Q is only on there ocassionally. So I am sometimes tempted to wait until the week before I go since I doubt Spamalot will sell out, although Avenue Q might.

We'll be there Wed-Sun, May 9-13, and would most likely want to get tickets for Friday or Saturday, because we are hoping tor tickets to some TV tapings on Wed & Thurs evenings.

Any opinions?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,017 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Discount Codes vs. Buying Now?

For starters, most of the discount codes are NOT good for Sat. night performances. So unless you're willing to go to a Sat. matinee, I'd go ahead and purchase tix for Sat. night. The other option is to wait until you arrive and try to get tix at the TKTS booth. Info on what's been available at the TKTS booths is at tdf.org/tkts

I'm frankly stunned that you say last minute Spamalot is usually available but not Ave Q. I would have thought just the reverse.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
581 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Discount Codes vs. Buying Now?

Whiz, I was surprised too. I'm a bit obsessive about this, LOL, and there's almost always last minute tickets for Spamalot, but not often for Avenue Q, although I have seen them sometimes. Here's the link I go to:

www.broadway.com/gen/general.aspx?ci=524474

As you can see, they have discounted tickets for Spamalot for Wednesday this week, but regular price for Friday and Saturday. I am definitely interested in the Saturday matinee, that would free up Saturday evening for other things, sinvr if we manage to get tickets for a TV show taping on Wednesday and/or Thursday nights, my son would like an evening to go to Cafe Wha or a comedy club as well.

Unfortunately, I probably won't hear back from any of the tv shows until very close to the time we go, so I feel like I have to buy BW show tickets for Friday or Saturday just in case we do get in to a taping. If not, we can do Cafe Wha and a comedy club on Wed and Thurs.

You say the codes usually aren't good for Sat night, what about Friday evening?

Thanks for your help!

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
637 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Discount Codes vs. Buying Now?

If Ave Q has discount codes..they usually have the following restrictions...no Sat night discounts and no discount on the first 10 rows of the theater (which at the Golden is the first half..lol) You may not see a code until a month out.

It's a crap shoot....just depends on how set you are on seeing a certain show or if you are particular about seats.

Ave Q and Spamalot regularly go close to selling out on weekends from what I've seen in May as attendance picks up.

I ,personally, am taking my mom to see Ave Q the week you are in town and just bought full price tickets to make sure I could get good seats and worrying no code would materialize for weekends in May.

Both may be on TKTS particularly on weekdays.

Also, Ive used broadway.com last min tickets for Spamalot and called about a few other shows before...sometimes the locations aren't the greatest....though sometimes you can get a good bargain.

Like I said...its just about how set you are on those 2 shows and when you want to see them...and if you care about where you sit.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
581 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Discount Codes vs. Buying Now?

Thanks for your reply, Broadway Girl. The discount codes listed now are good until March 11th for Ave Q and March 25th for Spamalot , so I think I will wait a bit longer and hope they post new codes that don't expire before we come. If I can't get a discount, I'm fine with paying full price because my son really wants to see these two.

I don't really care where we sit, as long as the seats aren't partial view, I'm fine with not being close to the stage.

Thanks again!

5. Re: Discount Codes vs. Buying Now?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 00:18