We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
606 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Avenues??

I am trying to learn the order of the Avenues. While I am l clear on the east side, I am a little confused on the west side.

Looking at my map, it looks as if the Ave's below about 57th-59th St. are referred to as numbered Ave's, and above that point, they are referred to as Columbus Ave, Amsterdam Ave, etc.

Do I have this correct? If so, what is the "dividing line" between where they are referred to as numbered aves vs. named aves?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,755 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avenues??

Yes. 59 st. is where they change. The bus map might be helpful.

http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/manbus.pdf

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avenues??

That's correct--12th Avenue becomes the Miller Highway then the Hudson Parkway, 11th becomes West End Avenue, 10th becomes Amsterdam Avenue, 9th becomes Columbus Avenue, and 8th becomes Central Park West. The switch from 8th to CPW happens at 59th Street.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
6,530 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avenues??

Above 59th Street on the West side from East to West it's Central Park West, Columbus, Amsterdam, West End and Riverside Drive

Below 59th Street on the West side from East to West it's 6th Avenue, 7th Avenue, 8th Avenue, 9th Avenue, 10th and 11th Avenues.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
606 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avenues??

Thank you both for confirming that for me. I've always been "map challenged", it's good to know I can figure it out on my own!

P.S. I got the New York MapGuide from Amazon that was reco'd on here & I love it. . . highly recommend it to anyone who has trouble reading maps as I do!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,755 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Avenues??

The one street that doesn't change is Broadway. ;)

6. Re: Avenues??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 15:16