We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

confused about ferry to Lady Liberty

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
58 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
confused about ferry to Lady Liberty

How does this work, if i buy a ticket online can i use it for any time or do i have to show up at a specific time to get the ferry. Does is save time standing in line, if I get my ticket ahead of time? How long are the lines to get on the ferry usally? The website said something about arriving 2 hours early, thats ludicrous. I cant see my 72 year old mom standing in line for 2 hours. please give us some advise how this works.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
395 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: confused about ferry to Lady Liberty

from experience taking out-of-town visitors to the Statue, the ticket lines are pretty short - usually 5-10 mins. however, to get on the ferry you need to pass through inspections not unlike that in an airport, and this is where the bottleneck usually is. sometimes it takes 30 mins to get through that, including the time spent standing in line.

the ferries run regularly (you can check the schedules online), i recommend just showing up and buying the ticket right there.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
581 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: confused about ferry to Lady Liberty

If you want to get off the ferry at Liberty Island and go into the statue and take the tour, you should buy your ticket ahead of time so that you will have a reservation for that.

If you just want to ride the ferry and stay on at Liberty Island, but get off at Ellis Island, you will be fine with buying a ticket whenever you get there.

Have you looked at the website? http://www.nps.gov/stli/

DC
Level Contributor
308 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: confused about ferry to Lady Liberty

If you don't really want to walk around the statue, but just want a good Photo Op, then take the Staten Island Ferry. Sure, it doesn't stop at the statue, and it's a public ferry, but the views are first rate, and you can't beat the fare.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
948 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: confused about ferry to Lady Liberty

If you opt for the first ferry of the day (8.45am I think), the recommended time to arrive in advance is only 45mins before, but there is still a lot of queueing to put up with - you'll need to queue at Castle Clinton to pick up your tickets and then queue at a couple of points during the security points before you get on the ferry .

When I went (on the first ferry of the day), it took over an hour and I'd guess the processing times will only get longer throughout the day as more people turn up

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
58 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: confused about ferry to Lady Liberty

yes I have been to the website, call me stupid but here is where i am getting confused. yes we want to see ellis island and the statue up close. with tour, so there in lies my question. when i book my ferry ticket online, and i select monument access pass, it offers me two time slots. 10:45 to 1:45 or 12:45 to 3:30. what does this mean. i can show up anytime between the time slot i choose. but still have to wait in line to pick up my tickets and to board the ferry.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
948 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: confused about ferry to Lady Liberty

Ok, this has changed since I did the monument tour (they used to specify set tour times), but what I think that the time slot means is that the slot you select specifies the window of time you have for turning up at the SoL herself.

So it's up to you to make sure you've picked up your tickets, gotten through security and reached Liberty Island by some point within your time slot (and you should probably arrive on Liberty Island well before the end of your time slot to allow for the additional security checks before you enter the monument).

I wouldn't expect the time spent it the monument to take anything like the whole 2hrs 45mins of the time slot by the way (the guided tour is brief and the musuem in the pedestal is quite small - although both are great).

Then you're free to hop back on the ferry and head for Ellis Island at your leisure!

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
58 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: confused about ferry to Lady Liberty

thanks to all who replied , I will call the place to get things squared away.

8. Re: confused about ferry to Lady Liberty

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2009, 02:19