We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daily Budget

Victorville...
Level Contributor
108 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Daily Budget

Hello travelers. My family and I, 4 all together, are visiting New York from October 4th to the 9th, so 5 full days. We've already paid for our hotel, 2 musicals, and we have reservations for 2 upscale restaurants which is not part of this budget, plus our tickets for the Rock and The Statue of Liberty is already paid for. So my question is, is 250 a day enough for other non expensive meals, and maybe a few souvenirs, or do you think we may need more. My family and I are not major foodies so we don't mind eating cheap, and our hotel has a small kitchen so we're making breakfast ourselves. Thank you.

Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
1,246 Reviews
from US$89.99*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
149 Reviews
from US$175.00*
Best Seller
NYC One World Observatory...
552 Reviews
from US$34.00*
5 replies to this topic
NJ
Level Contributor
950 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Daily Budget

It sounds reasonable given that you are making breakfast for yourselves & have already excluded some things. I guess this is the budget for lunch & extras? The days you go to the theater you could potentially blow the whole daily budget on a round of drinks & some souvenirs there.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,216 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Daily Budget

$250/day for all of you? So $62.50 each?

Does this family of 4 include kids? How old are they? Are they big eaters? For that matter, are parents big eaters? What about alcohol?

Sorry for so many questions, but your budget is tight enough to make these clarifications important. What about transportation? Is that a different budget or part of this $250/day? Unlimited ride subway card will be $31 pp unless kids are small. It's a bargain but it's going to eat into that budget a bit.

If you are in a touristy area and want standard familiar foods, you may have only overpriced options right there. It depends on the location. A little planning to identify good food at good prices near where you plan to be may be important, especially if any of your group is a little bit fussy about what they will and won't eat.

In answer to your question, yes you could make $65/pp per day work but it won't be effortless. There are times when you could have to do some extra work and research to stay on budget and there will be times when you may see an appealing restaurant right where you want to be when it's mealtime and you are hungry, but you may need to pass and try to find something cheaper. It won't only be about the food. Sometimes it will be the whole look and vibe of the place that is appealing

I'm not saying those sacrifices will be terrible, but it's very likely that you will notice that you are making them. The city is full of things to seduce you into spending money on food and drink and just picturesque spots to hang out. The city is also full of great food at "cheap eats" prices. It may just take more work to find them.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
18,103 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Daily Budget

For perspective when DH and I go to a local neighborhood cafe for dinner we spend about $90 - shared appetizer, 2 mains (but no upscale like steak or lobster), 1 glass of wine each, coffee and 9% tax and 20% tip. Do remember that all prepared foods are taxed at 9% and if you are served at a table the usual tip is 20% so the total cost will be 30% more than listed on the menu.

I would not be comfortable with your budget if it has to include transit, snacks, water, and any lunch other than a food cart or a slice/soda/water. A lot also depends on how old the kids are (very few places have kids menus) and how big their appetites and also if you will want a cocktail and /or wine with dinner.

Victorville...
Level Contributor
108 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Daily Budget

Thank you. The kids are 15 each aND not very big eaters. Myself and my wife don't drink alcohol and I'm sorry for not putting it down earlier, but yes, transportation is also already included. The 250 is just for lunch, which in many cases we usually have a late lunch so many times we don't even eat dinner, or usually have something small. But we are big on snacks and sweets. Thank you again.

New York City, New...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Daily Budget

Depends on the amount of souvenirs you wish to buy, but I'd say that's plenty! Enjoy your trip!

Reply to: Daily Budget
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted