We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo travel .. how did you find dining out etc?

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Solo travel .. how did you find dining out etc?

I'm travelling to to NYC in November as a female traveller. I'd love to go to restaurants etc but I still find the idea a bit intimidating. How did any solo travellers find dining out? And any recommendations?

Mentioned in this post
30 replies to this topic
Gloucestershire...
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo travel .. how did you find dining out etc?

I ate at places that had bars and sat at them (like Bills Burgers near the Rockefeller Centre) or food courts (Grand Central Station/Brookfield Place/Gotham West Market) where it's easy to grab a table to yourself or perch on someone else's. A few times I struck up conversation with the people sat around me/they did with me and found everyone was very friendly and chatty.

Mentioned in this post
Park Central Hotel New York
Park Central Hotel New...
5,379 Reviews
New York City, NY
Gotham West Market
Gotham West Market
417 Reviews
New York City, NY
Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
4,171 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo travel .. how did you find dining out etc?

I just go to any restaurants I want. Being solo does not influence my decision. You will see many other solo diners in NYC.

Mentioned in this post
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo travel .. how did you find dining out etc?

I have solo dined many times in NYC. Like someone said there are lots of other solo diners. I feel very comfortable both in laid back places and fine dining restaurants.

PS; it is not something I would feel so comfortable doing here in London.

Mentioned in this post
The London NYC
The London NYC
3,892 Reviews
New York City, NY
Ohio
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo travel .. how did you find dining out etc?

This may be more of a cultural difference? It's quite common to see solo diners here in the US. I don't think most people would even know this is a thing.

Edited: 21 September 2017, 13:31
Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
17,324 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo travel .. how did you find dining out etc?

I once had a friend ask me how I felt about dining alone when I was traveling because he always felt awkward. I told him I didn't go to fast food etc. but treated myself to nice restaurants. He tried it & said it worked. You need to have the mindset that you're doing just what you want to do without anyone telling you no - not poor little me, I'm all alone.

Guadalajara, Mexico
Destination Expert
for San Luis Potosi, Zacatecas
Level Contributor
4,249 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo travel .. how did you find dining out etc?

I´m with Rassi & blume - why on earth would you feel weird solo dining ... Maybe we just travel tons for business & pleasure so nobody thinks much of it in the US, maybe its just we are a stubborn individualist culture - regardless I think many find solo travel and dining very freeing -- there are lots of solo travel posts in the Top Questions:

http://tinyurl.com/y7a7fjab

Edited: 21 September 2017, 13:46
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
103,288 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Solo travel .. how did you find dining out etc?

Because there are so many single people in NYC, people don't think twice about solo diners. Years ago I went to Paris solo and did not feel as comfortable there dining alone. But if you are uncomfortable,most every restaurant has a bar area where you can eat if sitting at a table alone intimidates you. At minimum you can chat with the bartender if you want or other customers might strike up a conversation. At Gabriel Kreuther, a fine dining place, there's a big window from the dining room into the kitchen. A solo diner sitting next to me (I was with a friend) sat with her back to the room and watched what was happening in the kitchen as her entertainment.

Mentioned in this post
Gabriel Kreuther
Gabriel Kreuther
523 Reviews
New York City, NY
Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
17,324 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Solo travel .. how did you find dining out etc?

To reinforce what nywhiz has says. I sometimes want to sit by myself & just read what I've brought to read (I'm an inveterate reader) but sometimes I feel like being social & it's easier to strike up a conversation at a bar as you're not inside the defined space of a table but are in a space that you're sharing with others.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
745 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Solo travel .. how did you find dining out etc?

I agree with the others commenting here. Nobody will notice you're eating out alone in NYC. Many places will have an eat at the bar option, which if you're at all extroverted will often lead to conversations with other customers of the bar staff. I'm more of an introvert, so rarely strike up conversations in these senarios, but I've never had any issues just eating by myself in NYC or many other places around the world.

I think it's very common (at least in the UK) to be slightly uncomfortable at the thought of eating out alone, but do it once and you'll won't even give it a second thought the second time.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
2,513 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Solo travel .. how did you find dining out etc?

I travel solo to nyc and therefore dine solo. I go to all levels of restaurants. I will go anywhere. But, some places are More enjoyable to be alone when you choose to get a table. You really don't kbiw,which ones untill you experience them. I prefer to have a table , but often I do take a bar Seat of available.

You cannot always rely on bring able to talk with Bartender. They may be too busy or not a talker.

You have to be in the right mind set to be seated at a table alone. Content with hearing others conversations at a table that is very close. I often look at the restaurants layout depending on my mood to where want to sit . Bar vs table. You certainly do not have to worry about hearing your companion in a loud restaurant when you are alone. I prefer the bustling loud ones when I have a table, the quiet ones I prefer the bar seating.

Edited: 21 September 2017, 14:33
Reply to: Solo travel .. how did you find dining out etc?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted