We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is hotels.com reliable

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
31 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Is hotels.com reliable

Has anyone used this site before? Is it legit? I've found better deals on there but I don't want to book through them without any feedback. Did you have problems checking in to a hotel when you went?

41 replies to this topic
New York, New York
Level Contributor
12,743 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is hotels.com reliable

Very reliable. But as with any site you might want to contact the hotel directly to see if they'll do better than the price quoted on the third-party site.

NJ
Level Contributor
925 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is hotels.com reliable

I never had a problem but after the reservation is "confirmed" through any on line site I wait about 2 hours then call the hotel directly.

Hudson Valley
Level Contributor
1,888 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is hotels.com reliable

I've booked rooms through hotels.com at least a dozen times with no problems. Agree with above about checking directly with hotel in case you can get a better rate and always pay attention to the cancellation policy.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,826 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is hotels.com reliable

It has a good reputation. Just read all of the fine print to understand the cancellation policy for whatever you are booking, and whether the hotel has extra fees they charge.

Hudson Valley
Level Contributor
1,888 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is hotels.com reliable

I think hotels.com has gotten pretty good about showing those extra fees - I was just looking at rooms in Vegas and right under the price it says "excludes daily resort fee". But definitely always check so there are no surprises!

Mentioned in this post
NY, NY
Level Contributor
146 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is hotels.com reliable

Hotels.com is the same company as Expedia, which also owns Hotwire. Expedia and Priceline (which owns Booking.com) are the two big players in the online travel marketplace. Reliable, yes - but I would always try to book directly and, if you see a better price on the site see if the property will match it.

United States
Level Contributor
625 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is hotels.com reliable

From what I understand, Hotels.com is on par with the other well-known third-party booking portals. The big question, however, is why use a third-party booking portal in the first place if you can book directly with the hotel for the same or a lower price? I have yet to book directly with a hotel that wasn't willing to match the quote from a third-party, and many hotels have a low price guarantee if you book direct through the hotel's website. Indeed, with rare exceptions, I have found that the price quote on the hotel's website is the same or lower than the price from the third-party vendor after verifying that the room and all applicable fees are identical.

I have also found that third-party booking sites are fine when everything goes right with the reservation, but not so fine when things go wrong, such as a room that does not match the description on the reservation, a room that looks into a dumpster or air shaft , or an unexpected charge on the invoice. In my experience, and from what I have learned from people in the hospitality industry, hotels are much more likely to move the guest to a different room, offer an upgrade, offer perks, or waive fees to resolve problems if the guest booked directly with the hotel (particularly if the guest participates in the hotel's rewards program), than it is if the guest booked through a third-party.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,797 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is hotels.com reliable

Well of course, since the hotel is making more money off that guest since they don;t have to give a cut to the booking service. The question is if the hotel will match the same deal.

And key is reading the small print and understand when you have to cancel to avoid paying a penalty.

New Hope, Minnesota
Level Contributor
359 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Is hotels.com reliable

I always use booking.com and hotels.com and also check hotel site as well. I continue to monitor all and watch for special discount emails. And have frequently reduced my initial rate.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,826 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is hotels.com reliable

I've re--booked the same hotel for the same dates 3 times now for our upcoming trip. First on the hotel's site (AAA rate), again when that rate dropped slightly, and now I just re-booked on Booking.com because they had a VERY substantial sale, much lower than the hotel's website.

The only time I've asked for a price match with third party the answer was "no". That might not always be the case, but rates are computerized, etc. Plus there could be contractual things involved that prevent the hotel from matching if they push a special promotional sale with a third party site. That's just speculation. It does not surprise me that hotels may not always be able to match the rate they give to a third-party site to promote the hotel.

I have mixed feelings about third-party sites. I have never been disappointed with them, but it sometimes feels "right" to book directly and I wonder if I will be able to get a better room. Who knows... I often book directly these days.

The plus side of booking with a third-party site is that it is easier to find your booking details, especially if you booked a couple of options, and you are going through their security process to submit your cc info, etc instead of the hotel's own website. Some of those websites are rinky-dink. Even for those that are more professional, do they really have the same security as the giant players like Expedia, Hotels.com, etc? I doubt it but I have no first-hand info to back that up.

Reply to: Is hotels.com reliable
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted