We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Help

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
103 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Help

Hi!

I am trying to get a basic layout of my upcoming trip and get an idea from you guys if im am lumping some things in the right days or if I should move things around. I'm not super rigid about keeping to the itinerary but I don't want to be bouncing all over the city either.

Hotel - East Village

Day 1: Arrive - Wednesday November 29th @ 8am via bus

Head downtown towards hotel

Take Staten Island Ferry and get a view of SOL and Skyline etc

Brooklyn Bridge?

??

Day 2: November 30

Central Park

Museum Of Natural History

??

Back to Hotel to freshen up for Evening

Walk along 5th Ave - check out xmas displays stopping at rock centre to see tree lit up

Dinner

Show - No tickets yet, thinking Rockettes

Day 3: December 1

Yankee Stadium Tour

??

MOMA - Free Fridays 4pm-8pm

??

Out for the night - Thinking 80s dance heard "Beauty Bar" was good and relatively close to hotel but open to anything

Day 4: December 2 - departure day but not leaving until Midnight

??

??

Shopping

Guggenheim (free from 545-745 Saturdays)

??

* Would like to add in

1) Highline

2) Times Square

3) Union Square Christmas Market

4) to see an UCB performance (schedule not up for end of November yet)

I feel like I have a lot of open space, any advice would be grand!

Mentioned in this post
East Village
East Village
102 Reviews
New York City, NY
Staten Island Ferry
Staten Island Ferry
19,164 Reviews
New York City, NY
Brooklyn Bridge
Brooklyn Bridge
17,920 Reviews
New York City, NY
Central Park
Central Park
116,614 Reviews
New York City, NY
Yankee Stadium
Yankee Stadium
3,744 Reviews
Bronx, NY
The Museum of Modern Art (MoMA)
The Museum of Modern Art...
15,787 Reviews
New York City, NY
Times Square
Times Square
45,612 Reviews
New York City, NY
Union Square
Union Square
1,302 Reviews
New York City, NY
8 replies to this topic
New York, New York
Level Contributor
12,713 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Help

What hotel are you staying in in the East Village?

Mentioned in this post
East Village
East Village
102 Reviews
New York City, NY
Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
17,287 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Help

If you do a Broadway show, you'll be in Times Square. If you do Radio City, you're not that far away.

Consider the Bryant Park Holiday Shoppes for an alternative in midtown.

Mentioned in this post
Times Square
Times Square
45,612 Reviews
New York City, NY
Radio City Apartments
Radio City Apartments
2,418 Reviews
New York City, NY
The Bryant Park Hotel
The Bryant Park Hotel
3,987 Reviews
New York City, NY
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,794 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Help

Day 1: With an 8am arrival, you can plan a lot more. You have an entire day and evening to work with but have planned only a ferry ride and Brooklyn Bridge.

Day 2: These things are grouped together well, except I think it may be too much to do Department Store windows, Rockefeller Center and dinner all before a Broadway Show, especially if you plan to head back to your hotel first. But that really depends on how many hours you spend in the museum and how much time you spend in the park. The Rockettes show is shorter and plays at all sorts of hours, so that might be easier to fit in with how this day is planned.

All of your other days are light. There are loads of things you could plan to do but you'll need to select which ones interest you the most.

If you are interested in MoMA, you may really want to consider going during a paid admission time. The Free time often terribly crowded and may be especially crowded because a lot of people coming in to see the Rockefeller Tree might decide to go there. It's nearby.

For your final day, you are planning shopping but that's a Saturday and it's the holiday shopping season. You will probably find that stores are less crowded if you do your shopping on a weekday instead of that Saturday. You have plenty of time for it on all of your other days except for Day 2.

Mentioned in this post
Brooklyn Bridge
Brooklyn Bridge
17,920 Reviews
New York City, NY
Rockefeller Center
Rockefeller Center
21,840 Reviews
New York City, NY
The Museum of Modern Art (MoMA)
The Museum of Modern Art...
15,787 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
292 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Help

for shopping just go to Macy's herald square; everything u would want is here. since u are close to downtown check out south street seaport area.

Des Moines, IA
Level Contributor
1,555 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Help

OP, in a different thread a couple days ago you said your hotel was in the lower east side and today you say it's in the east village. Those are different areas, both in Manhattan. I know you're taking a bus rather than giving directions to a cab driver, but it is important for you to know the address and neighborhood of where you're staying in case you do end up taking a cab at some point. Drivers will not necessarily know where to go based off a hotel name alone, unlike other cities.

Edited: 21 September 2017, 20:17
USA
Level Contributor
15,060 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary Help

***OP, in a different thread a couple days ago you said your hotel was in the lower east side and today you say it's in the east village. Those are different areas, both in Manhattan. ***

They were originally looking at rentals as well.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,803 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary Help

I would trade the Met for the Guggenheim. The latter is an interesting building but the exhibits not so much. The Met, right across the street, was voted the best museum in the world and is pay what you wish at all time. And it is WAY more than an art museums, with an incredible variety of departments as well as special exhibits. Check the web site in advance or you could be in there for days.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
103 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary Help

christnp - i know i have underscheduled! there is just so much to do i don't know where to fit it all so ive put it nowhere haha. Youre right about all of it happening before a show, perhaps i will change the dinner to post show. and i will definitely change the shopping to another day, i didn't even think of that

thanks wink! I got confused and thought the two were the same haha, now that ive done some more research I have figured out the error of my ways :)

springeready - I was also looking for hostels and hotels if you read the original post, everyone is so quick to jump down someone's throat about where they are staying on this forum. I understand that there is illegal housing in New York.

nytraveler - thanks for the tip on the MET I will definitely compare the two and probably make a change.

Mentioned in this post
Reply to: Itinerary Help
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted