We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

*Trip Report* September 18-23

South Carolina
Level Contributor
8 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
*Trip Report* September 18-23

Now that I've been back for a few days, I figured I would write my trip report to give future NYC travelers some insight.

Firstly, we LOVED our trip and already can't wait to go back. This was the first time either of us (my husband and I) had ever been to New York. To give other newbies an idea of how much you will walk in New York, I'll put each day's Fitbit results also (to help you decipher, 10,000 steps is about 5.0 miles). Anyway, here is the daily break down:

Monday: Arrived at JFK around 1:15PM and took a Carmel car (that I had pre-arranged) to our hotel. We stayed at 36 Hudson Hotel in Hell's Kitchen (36th St.) and other than the too-soft bed, we enjoyed our hotel and its location. After taking some time in the hotel to unwind from traveling, we walked to Midtown just so I we could start enjoying the sights and get a look at everything. I had booked tickets for around sunset at Top of the Rock, so we headed to Rockefeller Center for that. It took us a while to find the right entrance, but a helpful doorman showed us the way. Of course it was crowded at the time I chose, but the sunset was beautiful and it was a great, easy first day activity to see the city. We were too tired to walk back so took an Uber back to the hotel for the night.

Daily Fitbit Steps: 15,308

Tuesday: Walked to Best Bagel and Coffee on 34th and got an everything bagel with cream cheese and an iced coffee for breakfast. Highly recommend! Then took subway from Penn Station to South Ferry to start the day. Took the Staten Island ferry to see the SOL, Ellis, Governor's etc. Beautiful and amazing to see in person. Then we walked around the Wall Street area and saw the bull which was swarmed with people already. Walked next to the 9/11 Memorial and saw the Station 10 Firehouse as well. We got pizza for lunch at a place not too far from the firehouse. From there we walked all around Lower Manhattan, just exploring, including a pop into the Smithsonian American Indian museum to look around in some air conditioning. Started walking north and found a really cool skate park under the Manhattan bridge and walked up through the China town area just taking in the sights. Took the subway back to the hotel to relax for a while, then went down to Times Square just to see it at night and walk around Midtown some more, getting snacks here and there. We got tired of the rain (had been raining lightly since dark from Jose) so we headed back to the hotel for the night via subway.

Daily Fitbit Steps: 23,254

Wednesday: Walked to Dry Bar Hell's Kitchen to get my hair done, then took subway to Columbus Circle station. Got breakfast from a food cart, then headed into Central Park. Stopped for a little bit at a nice waterside bench with a view of Bow Bridge and the row boaters, then headed to the Shake Shack behind Natural History Museum for lunch. After lunch, we spent a few hours at the museum, which we both enjoyed. Afterwards, we walked to Levain Bakery for some cookies then took the subway back to the hotel to get ready to go to the Broadway show I had tickets for.

We went to the 7PM of the Play That Goes Wrong, which was very funny!

Daily Fitbit Steps: 20,788

11 replies to this topic
South Carolina
Level Contributor
8 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: *Trip Report* September 18-23

Continued:

Thursday: My husband and I spent Thursday with a friend of ours who lives in Brooklyn. We met at Chelsea Piers in the morning and went to the driving range there which has great views of the Hudson. After that we walked to Chelsea Market for lunch (tacos), then to one of the Highline entrances. We walked the Highline to the Intrepid Museum and spent a few hours there (husband is an airplane buff). Then we decided on a whim to ride the subway down to Lower Manhattan again and take the Staten Island Ferry again. Sounds crazy but it was later in the day so it ended up being a sort of sunset cruise and was a gorgeous way to give our feet a break. Went back to the hotel and hung out at the cafe tables outside for a while, then called it a night.

Daily Fitbit Steps: 22,262

Friday: Had a sleep in day, then left around 11:30 to head to Greenwich Village for a Food Tour I had booked through Free Tours on Foot, which started at 1PM. I highly recommend this tour or any with this company, we both loved it. We had an eclectic mix in our tour group with vacationers from southern states like ourselves, from South Africa and Australia, and even about 5 Manhattan residents who did the tour. After the tour, we took the Subway to Grand Central Station to see the Main Concourse, then walked to MoMA (free on Friday's but very crowded) to visit before riding the subway back to our hotel.

Daily Fitbit Steps: 22,304

Saturday: Our flight wasn't until 7:30PM so we took the L train over to spend the day with our friend in Brooklyn. We walked around and through some nice parks in Williamsburg, ate amazing sandwiches at a place called Frankel's, walked to the park on the water for a beautiful view of Manhattan skyline, and then ice cream at Van Leeuwen's. Hung out until it was time to leave, then got an Uber to the airport.

We had a fantastic time and already can't wait to go back!

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,345 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: *Trip Report* September 18-23

Nice report. Thanks!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
8,363 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: *Trip Report* September 18-23

Thanks a lot for reporting.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
32,665 posts
6,407 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: *Trip Report* September 18-23

Nice report. Its always fun to see friends and have a nice trip. Thanks for telling us about your trip.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,871 posts
530 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: *Trip Report* September 18-23

Loved your report. Question please , I’m very interested in visiting a dry bar as well. What was your experience like ? And are they fast ? ;)

Crandon, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,610 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: *Trip Report* September 18-23

Appreciate your details! We are leaving in 2 weeks, and I am finalizing our days. You seemed to have a good mix, but not rushed, which is what we are looking for. Thanks!

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
8,252 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: *Trip Report* September 18-23

Great detail, have taken note of "free Friday"

South Carolina
Level Contributor
8 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: *Trip Report* September 18-23

I loved my Dry Bar experience. It took about half an hour and there is a movie on while you are getting your hair done and they have free drinks (tea or water I think), but I had my own iced coffee so I sipped that while I had it done. I do recommend either having it done closer to the event you'd like it to look best for or pick a less humid day because walking around the city sweating all day made my style not last as long as it typically would have! It did still look pretty good by that night though.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2,575 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: *Trip Report* September 18-23

Amazing it's non stop walking

Enjoyed your report! I will need to check out Frankels... We are going to the Brooklyn Bowl for a gig so maybe before that

Dry bar.... Sounds like a plan I will look it up -

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
2,575 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: *Trip Report* September 18-23

Just had a look at Dry Bar- $45 ?

Were you happy with the style?

Reply to: *Trip Report* September 18-23
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted