We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in NYC?

Europe
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in NYC?

We are several people from Norway planning a week stay in NYC this Easter, and would like some pointers and tips on where to stay relatively cheap on Manhattan?

Mainly looking for a hotel located somewhere between Downtown and Midtown, or in Midtown, but since the public transportation in NYC is great, this is not too important. Maybe someone knows of other locations to stay as well?

We don't need the most luxurious hotel, but a good bed, clean room and clean bathroom is a must ;)

Thanks to everyone who takes time to reply!

Mentioned in this post
Revolution Rickshaws
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, City Tours
NYC Airporter
Taxis & Shuttles, Bus Transportation
Durham
Level Contributor
3,932 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in NYC?

What do you call relatively cheap?

I recently stayed at www.radiocityapartments.com and loved it. Great location, very clean and a nice size. Would highly recommend it.

Louise

Europe
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in NYC?

We were thinking $50-70 per person per night.

Those apartments looked like a pretty nice deal since we can be 4-5 people per apartment ! Very central too! Thanks for a good tip!

Other suggestions as well?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in NYC?

Are you planning to visit for Easter of 2007 or 2008? If it is 2007, you may have trouble getting rooms at Radio City Apartments, as they are very popular, and Easter is just over two weeks away. You may want to look into the Pod Hotel; you have the option of saving money by sharing a bath, but as there are several of you who all know each other, that may not be a problem. The website is:

http://www.thepodhotel.com/index.html

There is also the option of Priceline, where you can get lower priced rooms by bidding on them. For help with that process, go to www.betterbidding.com for ideas of how to better manage your bids. Be aware, however, that Priceline only promises a room with one bed, so if you want to put more than one or two people in a room, that could be an issue.

Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Radio City Apartments
Radio City Apartments
2,364 Reviews
New York City, NY
Europe
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in NYC?

My fault, it is suppose to be Easter 2008 ;)

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in NYC?

That's good to know! Your options are wide open; I would start with the Radio City Apartments, especially for a group.

Any chance you'll come visit your Norwegian-American relatives here in Minnesota while you're in the USA? I promise, we won't make you eat any lutefisk! Unless you really, really want to...;)

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Radio City Apartments
Radio City Apartments
2,364 Reviews
New York City, NY
Europe
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in NYC?

Do you know of more apartments for rent, apartments like Radio City Apartments I mean? Nice to have many options.

I actually have some relatives in Fargo and Moorhead in North Dakota and Minnesota. Visited them some years ago. Never tasted lutefisk, and probably never will either. If you're ever in Norway you must taste "pinnekjøtt" --> "stick meat", which is meat from sheep. That is soooo good!

Mentioned in this post
The Dakota
The Dakota
355 Reviews
New York City, NY
Radio City Apartments
Radio City Apartments
2,364 Reviews
New York City, NY
dublin
Level Contributor
34 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in NYC?

Hi, I stayed in the Salisbury Hotel, really good midtown location, across from Carnegie Hall, one block from Central Park. Its TA reviews are fairly consistent. We stayed in a 1 bedroom suite, which was really spacious , 2 double beds and a pull out sofa bed in the lounge. it would comfortably sleep 5/6, although it only had one bathroom. not sure if they have 2 bedroom/ bathroom apts but you could check. the $3 breakfast was great value. the location really sells this hotel.

Mentioned in this post
Carnegie Hall
Carnegie Hall
726 Reviews
New York City, NY
Central Park
Central Park
113,034 Reviews
New York City, NY
Salisbury Hotel
Salisbury Hotel
4,038 Reviews
New York City, NY
Buckinghamshire
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in NYC?

The Pod hotel, 51st street.

Europe
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay in NYC?

Many perfect suggestions here! Thanks alot all of you!

10. Re: Where to stay in NYC?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2009, 22:19