We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Healthy Eating

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
581 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Healthy Eating

I've been looking at restaurants on Menu Pages and not finding places that really appeal to me. Seems like a lot of them have menus full of breaded, fried, sauced options.

For the last year or so, I've made changes in my diet so that I am now eating fairly healthy meals. Grilled fish, chicken, whole grains, lots of fresh veggies. I limit things like pizza, beef, and fried dishes to once in awhile. When I do have these types of things, I make them at home rather than eating out, so as to control how they are prepared. For breakfasts, I used to eat bacon and eggs, now I am happy with whole grain toast and fruit.

In thinking about meals for our trip, I do have Burger Joint, John's and Virgil's on my list, but those are in case we feel like having a particular type of food while there. As a general rule, I would want to eat something like a grilled salmon fillet, or chicken, brown rice and fresh veggies rather than pizza or a burger.

So my question is, do most places have those options available? And does anyone have any places in mind they could suggest for a person like me?

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
581 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Healthy Eating

I should have added that we are staying at Radio City Apts, plan to spend some time in GV & Union Square area as well.

I'm not wanting vegetarian places, just places that would have good, plain, healthy options of American food. I'm not at all interested in trying Asian or other ethnic places.

Thanks

rqf
New York City
Level Contributor
1,504 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Healthy Eating

If you are in Greenwich Village try Eva's Restaurant, 11 W 8th St, New York, 10011 - (212) 677-3496. Google "Eva's restaurant New York City"

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Healthy Eating

Hey marleney...Your 'food choice' options are readily met as MANY follow a similar healthy diet here these days...You will note at most good restaurants there will always be a fish or poultry option that is either grilled or baked...You can order it grilled (salmon, for example) with a double order of steamed veggies (instead of the added white rice or potatoe)..You will find most places are use to this and very willing to accommodate...You are definetely not alone here...for that matter, more the norm nowadays on healthy 'eating out' and the restaurants have taken note so go and Enjoy!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Healthy Eating

Most regular restaurants (that is, places that are not single-dish-specific like John's, Virgil's, and Burger Joint) will generally have the kind of food you're looking for, and many 'nicer' restaurant that are not vegetarian will serve chicken and salmon entrees. (In fact, if I was the gambling type, I'd bet that chicken and salmon are the two most eaten meats in New York.) Even French restaurants, which may seem like they wouldn't fit your bill will serve what you're looking for--salmon filet is on almost every brasserie menu in town.

And of course, there are entire cuisines based around what you describe: Thai and Vietnamese, for instance, but others as well. Have you browsed through Menupages in those categories? You might also think about adding a vegetarian place to your plans--Menupages lists 112 in New York. And Menupages also has a category called "Health Food" that has many options that would work for you. Here are some recommendations in those categories:

Thai: Land, Holy Basil, Kittichai, Rain, Sripraphai (in Queens)

Vietnamese: L'Annam, Nam, Mai House, Bao 111

Vegetarian: Candle 79, Gobo, Zen Palate, Angelica Kitchen

Health Food: Spring Street Natural, Josie's

Also, look in the "American (New)" section of Menupages to see literally hundreds of places that serve the kind of food you're after, even if they are not centered around healthful eating.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
581 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Healthy Eating

rqf, thanks for telling me about Eva's. I did look it up and it looks very good. I will definitely be putting this one on my list!

Litsa, that's part of what I wanted to know...if I could go to "regular" restaurants and ask for my salmon to be grilled, for instance, or if I could forgo the white rice and choose another option, like extra veggies. Most places where I live either don't let you do that, or if they do, the other choices aren't anything I'd want either! So I cook at home a LOT and rarely eat out.

Crans, I have looked at some of the places on menupages, but I didn't look at vegetarian or any of the Thai or Vietnamese places. I just wanted regular, American food, and assumed I wouldn't get that at places other than the ones listed under "American" or "new American". I guess I was under the impression that other types of cuisine wouldn't have what I was looking for. For example, French to me would mean lots of heavy sauces, as would Italian. I admit I don't know much about different cuisines, but you have to realize, that I live in a rural part of Indiana, and we don't have a lot of nice restaurants here. We're pretty much reliant on the chains :)

Thanks to all for your suggestions, I will definitely look further and try to have more of an open mind on this subject!

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Healthy Eating

NYC restaurants are used to accommodating special diets and all kinds of special requests. No matter where you eat, even though you order something broiled, be sure to tell your server that you don't want any added butter, oil, or whatever. That goes for the veggies, too. And of course salad dressing must be served "on the side."

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Healthy Eating

You won't have any problems, marleney...I do it all the time as I don't eat meat and TRY to stay away from the carbs so fish and veggies is my usual when I eat out...along with oil and vingar 'on the side' for my salads:) Most of the better restaurants are very accommodating to these requests:) Enjoy!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Healthy Eating

Marleney--I grew up in Indiana (in Dearborn County, SE corner of the state), so I know what you mean about the restaurants. The first time I came to New York I thought I'd died and somehow wound up in the section of heaven reserved for chefs and food critics!

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Healthy Eating

Let me add another confirmation to the fray. You should have no problems whatsoever! At the majority of places, you will be able to ask for your dishes broiled, poached, however you like it. Even our classic diners and coffee shops offer baked potato, broiled fish, broiled chicken, etc, etc.

The only thing YOU need to do is say so. Speak up! Don't be shy. Don't be afraid to express your wishes. Make your needs known and you will usually get what you want.

Let us know how it works out!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Healthy Eating

Yeah! What he/she said :)