We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marriage Proposal

Save Topic
Marriage Proposal

I'm travelling to from Ireland to New York City just after Christmas and am hoping to propose to my girlfriend there. I'm just looking for recommendations as to where the best place to pop the question would be. I don't want to do it in a restaurant so preferably outdoors. I was thinking in front of the tree at Rockefeller but this may be way too busy that time of year? Any help would be appreciated.

Also, I'm going to propose with a token ring and hope to buy the actual ring there and let her pick it out. My budget is in around $2500 so I'm not sure where is best to buy. Also is this budget adequate for ring shopping in NYC?

Any help or suggestions at all would be great!

20 replies to this topic
Boston...
Level Contributor
21,851 posts
689 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marriage Proposal

You can get a ring that would delight your intended for $500, $5000, or $50,000. All depends on you, her, and your relationship.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,986 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marriage Proposal

When you calculate your ring budget, don’t forget about the tax and duty you will pay on the ring when you get home.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
445 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marriage Proposal

Brooklyn Bridge Park with skyline in background

Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marriage Proposal

I was thinking the Brooklyn Bridge also, it would be beautiful & very romantic EXCEPT for the hordes of people all around! You would have to take that into consideration. The day we went, there was hardly room to move . . . Loved the experience, but I can’t quite decide if it’s proposal material or not (only because of the crowds).

A thought - there’s a little park in (or near, maybe?) Brooklyn Heights that looks toward Manhattan. It has much of the same views as you’ll get on the bridge, although not quite as dramatic. It wasn’t crowded at all the day we went (very few people, actually) and we got GREAT pics there. Anyone know what I’m talking about?

Edited: 20 October 2017, 12:18
Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
4,327 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marriage Proposal

Marcomamma, I think you're thinking of the Brooklyn Heights Promenade, which would be a beautiful place for a proposal. (I know it's popular for wedding pictures, as I see photographers there all the time.) Brooklyn Bridge Park (not the same as the bridge itself) is another great idea. The DUMBO portion is probably the most romantic/atmospheric.

Or (and this may be a little hokey) there's a one- or two-block street - an alley, really, but a pretty, 19th century alley) in Brooklyn Heights called "Love Lane."

Essex, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marriage Proposal

If you don't want to pop the question actually in a restaurant have you considered the garden at The River Cafe underneath the Brooklyn Bridge? You can walk around the garden without using the restaurant and it is beautiful when the lights are on after dark..(Downside is your girlfriend may then be expecting dinner there and it is very expensive and you do need to book well ahead and bring a jacket too!)

Wherever you choose, I hope you tell us where you picked and that she says yes and you have a long and happy marriage.

7. Re: Marriage Proposal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 October 2017, 15:35

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
104,111 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Marriage Proposal

Peterjgermano.com

has been supplying engagement rings for forum posters for years. Email them and they will have some things within your budget set aside. Here,s a recent thread with that and other names

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763…

Where to propose depends on how public you want it to be. There are actually packages you can buy for proposing on the ice rink at Rockefeller Center in front of the tree but that's VERY public. Top of the Rock is gorgeous. Bow abridge in Central Park is another popular place. You can even hire a photographer to record it all.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
104,111 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Marriage Proposal

One of many other threads on marriage proposals.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763…

New York, New York
Level Contributor
13,857 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Marriage Proposal

If she likes antique, vintage, avant-garde or "different," one-of-a-kind fine jewels, you could check out the Aaron Faber Gallery on W. 53rd St. between 5th and 6th Avenues. It's nearly across the street from MOMA, around the corner from St. Patrick's Cathedral and Rockefeller Center.

Reply to: Marriage Proposal
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted