We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels!!!!!!

Michigan
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Hotels!!!!!!

My girlfriend and I are planning our summer trip to New York and have narrowed it down to some hotels. I was just wondering if anyone could give me some feedback on some of them

1.) Milford Plaza

2.) The Wellington

3.) Ameritania

4.) New Yorker Ramada

5.) Amsterdam Court

6.) Best Western Presidential

In no particular order those are the Hotels that we are looking into. Leaning towards Ameritania because of price.

Also we are from a country town and don't really have blocks. Is twelve blocks a long walk or no.

Thanks for any help

Coral Springs FL
Level Contributor
736 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels!!!!!!

Just going by your list, I would Choose the Amsterdam Court. The others have pretty bad reviews. I had actually booked there last year, but then came up with the New York Helmsley for less money.

Have a great time!

Lisa

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
581 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels!!!!!!

I stayed at Amsterdam Court last year. While it was ok, I wouldn't stay there again. There are much better places for the money.

Most NYC hotel rooms are small but this one was so small that there literally was about 1 foot of space between the end of the bed and the window and the side of the bed was against the wall. We also could not unpack. There were no drawers at all, and no place to leave a suitcase open. We had to close them up and stand them by the door to be able to move about in the room.

On the plus side, it's a great location, clean and the staff was very courteous. I did a review with pictures if you want to look.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
307 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels!!!!!!

If you could give TA posters specific dates and your budget they could be more helpful and could hopefully find you better options at the price you`re looking for.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,511 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels!!!!!!

None of the hotels on your list are great and some are just awful. Have you read reviews here? Have you looked at the "candid travelers photos" on the pages with reviews? Are you 2 women or a couple? Do you need 2 beds? Would you be willing to share a bathroom?

Look on quikbook.com and see if there are more there that fit your budget. What is your budget? How long are you coming and when?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels!!!!!!

Just to answer your final question, 12 blocks is about 3/5 of a mile.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels!!!!!!

Our avenues run roughly north-south (uptown-downtown), and the streets run east-west (crosstown). So if you're walking up or down an avenue, 20 blocks = a mile. Distances between avenues are longer and vary in length, but roughly 7 crosstown blocks = a mile.

Michigan
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels!!!!!!

Thanks to everyone that replied, we are a couple and only need one bed. Our budget is around $150.00 a night. And we are going from July 27 - August 1.

Thanks again!!!!

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotels!!!!!!

Check out the Review pages (on the left) for recent feedback and photos.

You cna use hopstop to measure distances.

www.hopstop.com

The average person takes about 15 minutes to walk one mile. So if you can walk for 15 minutes without stopping, you're good to go in NYC.

Michigan
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotels!!!!!!

Thank you to everyone who responded. I think that we have narrowed it down to either the Ameritania, or Amsterdam Court.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,511 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotels!!!!!!

The Comfort Inn Midtown is $166/night plus tax (you do realize there's tax on all these of another 15%) and probably includes free breakfast. I think it's a much nicer hotel and worth the extra. The Best Western President is another option for about $155.

I'd also urge you NOT to prepay and keep checking travelzoo.com Imaybe sign up for email from them) for specials closer to your trip. You could find a great sale. Priceline is another option. People regularly win rooms in hotels like the NY Hilton for less than $150/night. It takes patience, perserverence and good knowledge of the bidding ins and outs. If you're interested, read biddingfortravel.com and/or betterbidding.com