We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best helicopter trip - suggestions?

England,UK
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Best helicopter trip - suggestions?

Hi all, off to NYC tomorrow, looking to have a helicopter trip one day, any tips, recommedations etc. We'd like a good 10 mins flying over the city, hopefully on a sunny day to take some photos!

Thanks!

smf
waterford Ireland
Level Contributor
182 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best helicopter trip - suggestions?

I had the same query myself and tripadvisor members suggested i look at Liberty tours' website, its excellent it gives the various trips and prices and the length of time it takes, i think its libertytours.com

England,UK
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best helicopter trip - suggestions?

Thanks, just found: www.libertyhelicopters.com seems to have plenty of info!

USA
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best helicopter trip - suggestions?

Hi,

I've lived in NY my entire life, and I'm a helicopter pilot. Liberty runs a top-notch operation (a friend of mine used to fly for them, and their operation is run like a Swiss watch). Their helicopters are relatively new Eurocopter aircraft (very safe and smooth). These tours are not inexpensive, but the strong Euro/weak dollar will help alot.

I recommend taking the tour titled "The Big Apple" ($108 USD). Anything shorter will be a disappointment and won't be worth the wait before the tour - anything longer will be too expensive, and you won't see musch more than what you will during the Big Apple tour. You're going to have a great time.

While in New York, you need to see Monty Python's Spamalot on Broadway. We saw it this weekend and it was great. Tickets are EXTREMELY tought to get (don't waste time trying to get tickets at the half-price tickets booth in Times Square). Instead, go to the theater at least an hour before the show and stand on the "cancellations" line. While you're on that line, folks may come up to you offering tickets that they don't need. If so, BUY THEM. Expect to pay about $100-$125 USD per person, but this is the hottest show in town, and Tim Curry, Hank Azaria, and David Hyde Pierce are great. YOU'LL LOVE IT.

Have a great trip.

Sunderland, United...
Destination Expert
for Sunderland
Level Contributor
6,807 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best helicopter trip - suggestions?

We did the New York New York tour with Liberty and it was very good

Surrey, England
Level Contributor
299 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best helicopter trip - suggestions?

We did the same NY tour with Liberty.However despite having booked a slot for 1:30 and turning up half an hour before we had to wait for over 2 hours before we got on our helicopter. The guy in charge was telling everyone in the very long line that that there was only a short delay, 15-30 mins, which after a while became rather funny.

It was a great experience, definitely recommended.

Portskewett, United...
Level Contributor
835 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best helicopter trip - suggestions?

We did the Big Apple tour on my birthday. It was with Liberty but I booked it through www.allnewyorktours.com as it was $89 with them - I have just had a look on their site and its now $93.99 so still a saving on the $108 full price.

I wouldn't hestitate to do it again it was fab. I was surprised how smooth the helicopter was -I expected it to be bumpy but not at all. All in all I thought it was very good value for such an experience. Think how much it would cost in London?!!

Sarah

Low Fell, England
Level Contributor
357 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best helicopter trip - suggestions?

We flew with Liberty and the flight was a highlight for me and I can't wait do it again on our next trip.

My advice would be to spend as much as you can afford on the flight and take as many photos as you can.

Try and engineer a seat next to the pilot rather than sat in the back - the view & photos are much better from there.

Liverpool UK
Level Contributor
607 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best helicopter trip - suggestions?

I have posted some photos of our Liberty flight on

http://photobucket.com/albums/y30/Prads

and in the sub album helicopter trip, if anyone wants a preview.

Have done both the taste of New York, then had to do the Big Apple next time as it was so good we wanted more.

Pat

Surrey, England
Level Contributor
299 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best helicopter trip - suggestions?

Tricky to get in seat you want, they put my daughter next to the pilot even though I told them it was my birthday!

Low Fell, England
Level Contributor
357 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best helicopter trip - suggestions?

Indeed it is Chris...it's all about trying to gauge your place in the queue as you walk out to the helicopter. I found they loaded the back seats first so don't be in the first 3 or 4 as you walk out.

Don't blame me if it doesn't work though ;)