We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with transportation and parking

wildwood, nj
Level Contributor
74 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Help with transportation and parking

We are planning on a quick trip to NYC, and we will be staying at the Embassy Suites in Lower Manhattan. We live in southern NJ, and I considered taking the train from MetroPark to save money on parking.

Then I thought it might be neat to park in Staten Island and take the ferry. Does anyone know if there is overnight parking near the ferry terminal?

And secondly, what is the best way to get from Whitehall Terminal to near Battery Park where the hotel is - cab, subway, bus, walk? We'll be a party of 5 - myself, husband, son - 11, daughter 9 and daughter 8.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with transportation and parking

Yes, there is some overnight parking on the SI side not too far from the ferry terminal. Here's the link for more info on that:

http://www.siferry.com/Parking.htm

It's about a 15 minute walk from the ferry terminal in Manhattan to your hotel.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with transportation and parking

The distance from the Whitehall terminal to your hotel is about one mile. Since all five you you would have to pay a $2 fare, it would actually be cheaper to take a cab that distance than it would be take mass transit.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,455 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with transportation and parking

Except that 5 with luggage won't fit in one cab so you'll need at least 2. This plan, imo, is being penny wise and pound foolish. What a hassle to schlep 5 people with bags to Staten Island, then have to get to the hotel from the ferry. Do yourselves a favor and drive into the city using the Holland Tunnel. You can find parking near the hotel on iconparking.com if you don't want to pay the hotel parking price.

wildwood, nj
Level Contributor
74 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with transportation and parking

I did think about that...but we are very light packers, so for 3 nights we would definitely not be talking about 5 suitcases.

Parking for four day in NYC is about $150 from what I can tell. Is that right?

Parking in Staten Island is $6.00 a day...but overnight is probably more. I am trying to find that out. One cab is about $10, I'm guessing.

So with the pennywise part, I might be saving $100, which we could definitely use for other fun things.

As for pound foolish, I'd like a bit more info. before I decide.

I hate driving in NYC. I like public transportation and walking.

My last trip to New York in Oct., we got stuck in 3 hours of gridlock midmorning on a Thursday before we got where we were going. The time before that we sat in two hours of traffic near the Parkway exit.

I was looking into the Staten Island Ferry thing anyway as a fun way to see the Statue of Liberty, anyway. So it could save time once we reach Manhattan to explore other things, instead of taking a half of a day on a round trip.

Does anyone know how much parking is in Staten Island?

And is there anyone who has taken the Staten Island Ferry for the view, that can tell me if it is something fun to do while in the city?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,455 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with transportation and parking

Why don't you price parking on the iconparking.com website? Only you know what time you'd be coming and going. They have 2 or 3 garages near your hotel.

CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with transportation and parking

FYI this family of five just did a weekend in NY and managed with two rolling suitcases and a small duffel. We squeezed into one cab with 9 y/o on my lap with 12 and 15 y/o also in back and hubby in front. Not the safest I know, but your kids are smaller and may fit even easier. If you can score a minivan cab its the best, but we just didn't luck out! none of the cabbies even blinked.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,310 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with transportation and parking

If you don't mind the walking then I think your plan is doable and even fun. I've always thought the view of Manhattan from the Ferry is a fabulous introduction to the city. I think your kids may find it an adventure.

I have no idea about the availability of overnight parking, though.

BTW, be sure to check out the family travel section for NYC at tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-s401/New-York-… .

Be sure also that you check what the New Victory Theater (a kinds/family theater) is playing during your stay http://www.newvictory.org/shows.m and also http://www.newvicdf.org/ . All seats are good at the New Vic, we (wife, 11 yr boy, 9 yr girl) have sat in the balconey many times and loved it).

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with transportation and parking

Whiz, I was thinking that the fact that three of the five are kids would cut down on the suitcases. In addition, there are some 5 passenger cabs -- and even for 4 passenger cabs, the law requires that a fifth person who is a 7 year old or younger who sits on the lap of another passenger in the back does not count for the 4-person total, and I think most cabbies would also accept that same arrangement for an 8-year-old on a parent's lap. Put Dad in the front, Mom and the three kids in the back, with the smallest on mom's lap if necessary, and suitcases in the trunk -- it should fit.

Although it does make you miss the old Checker cabs with their jump seats, doesn't it?

9. Re: Help with transportation and parking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 06:22