We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report - Day 6 - The wedding day

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report - Day 6 - The wedding day

We were flagging a bit by this point in the week and were finding it hard to get up as early as previously so it was about 9.30 before we headed out this morning. Under instruction to find a knicks top for one of our friends back home and a Yankees catchers mitt for our son, we headed towards 42nd St to Modells. We soon passed the Red Flame Diner which rang a bell in my head, after another fantastic big breakfast (even better than the Cheyenne IMO) we found Modells. Friend back home wanted a knicks top that wasn’t baggy (!!) so after disregarding all of the ones in Modells (all down to our ankles) we gave up and left with a mitt and baseball.

Andy went back to the hotel to drop off the bags and I called into Papyrus to get the wedding gift for our friends wrapped. What a fantastic shop, it almost made me wish I was getting married/having a baby/having a bar mitzvah or anything that gave me a reason to spend more money in that shop.

Then it was up to the Buckingham to meet our friends that were getting married. After a few steadying glasses of champagne the car arrived to take us all to Staten Island. What is it with private car companies? The drivers either don’t know where they’re going or they change the price, well in this case it was both! The rate per hour went up and Andy ended up programming the GPS for the driver. Anyway, we made it to Staten Island Borough Hall within half an hour. What a beautiful building, both front and back it’s so pretty and the murals inside were gorgeous. There was no wait for the ceremony – we were the only ones there! A big difference to the huge queue we had to wait in for our wedding in Brooklyn. The officiant was a great bloke, he really made the ceremony. The happy couple looked wonderful, I love a good wedding and I so enjoyed this (thanks for letting us be there Angela & David!!)

After some photos in and around the Borough Hall (I won’t post them here, I’ll leave that to the bride) we left them to go back to Manhattan and we jumped on the Staten Island ferry. It was unbelievably windy! We could barely stand at some points! The views were wonderful, we got pretty close to the Statue of Liberty, which is much smaller than you think (that always gets me).

We weren’t in much of a rush so popped into the White Horse Tavern for a few drinks and to call home. I called into HSBC around the corner to cash some Travellers Cheques which was no problem and then back to the pub to continue with the worst cosmo I’ve ever had the misfortune to taste, we were just getting ready to leave when horror of horrors I realised I couldn’t find my bible!! (NFT guidebook) I got a bit crazy when I realised how attached I’d become to it and really started to panic! Sounds daft doesn’t it? I literally ran back to HSBC checking the pavement as I went – there it was though, sitting on the counter in the bank where I’d left it. Phew!!!

After a few more drinks we took the subway back to the hotel to start getting ready for the big meal at Restaurant Gordon Ramsay at the London.

As is always the case with us, we were late but we were seated immediately to a lovely bottle of champagne sent to our table from the happy couple who were also eating there that night. I didn’t love the décor in the dining room but there was a lovely atmosphere and it felt great walking through the bar, which felt like any other bar, into the intimate dining room. We had the A la Carte menu which is different from the one on the website (maybe because of the change of chef?) and I thought a lot more interesting. The amuse bouche was foie gras which was delicious. I then had the foie gras four ways (which I wouldn’t have ordered had I known what the amuse bouche was going to be) while Andy had the tiger prawn ravioli. Both absolutely wonderful, I loved the different styles of the foie gras and Andy was very happy with his ravioli. For the main course Andy had the lobster and I had the cannon of lamb, again both were gorgeous. My lamb was cooked perfectly and the flavours together were amazing. Next it was the pre-dessert which was a mini chocolate pudding and again it was lovely, then for dessert it was bitter chocolate mousse and pain perdu (which are still on the website menu). I had the pain perdu and my only regret was that Andy’s chocolate mousse looked delicious. All in all I thought the food couldn’t have been better. Some people might say the portions a bit small but I thought they were just right, I like being able to fit in dessert without feeling like I’m going to explode and this was essentially a 5 course meal so I thought good value for money. We had a couple of French martinis once we’d finished and sent some over to our friends, in total the bill was $210 not including tip which I think is really reasonable. We left a good sized tip too because the service was so good. I’d expected it to be a bit stuffy but it was really relaxed and attentive without being intrusive.

I haven’t taken any photos of the food here unfortunately (I was strictly forbidden by Andy) but you’ll just have to take my word for it, it was wonderful.

nyc07day5.shutterfly.com/action/pictures…

Durham
Level Contributor
3,931 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report - Day 6 - The wedding day

Didn't realise you were attending a wedding there too - how lovely :)

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report - Day 6 - The wedding day

Ooh Ange, the London sounds fab. The atmosphere sounds lovely and I'm thrilled to hear that you essentially get two free courses with the a la carte menu. I really can't wait to go now!!

Questions, questions..... Did you happen to notice what the wine prices were like, as there's not much on the website? I know it says jacket preferred but did you notice if all the men wore a jacket? (It's not that hubby hasn't got one but I don't really want to drag his suit all the way over there for one night if at all possible - saves me more room for shoes!!)

The wedding sounds lovely by it's a good job you didn't get the ferry on the way over otherwise your hair would have been very interesting for the wedding pics :0)

Sunderland, United...
Destination Expert
for Sunderland
Level Contributor
6,794 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report - Day 6 - The wedding day

Love the sound of the Staten Island Borough Hall, it might help future wedding planners as well. Champagne, cosmos and french martinis all in one day? That's my girl....

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
5,607 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report - Day 6 - The wedding day

Ange,

I am soooooo glad you got to Gordon Ramsay and it was wonderful for you! You are so right, the pricepoint is very good value, especially for NYC. For some reason, the following article from the New Yorker, makes me want to go there even more. Very curious about the food now that there has been changes made.

newyorker.com/reporting/…070402fa_fact_buford

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report - Day 6 - The wedding day

Sorry puddleduck, I didn't look at the wine list. The cocktails were $12 each though which was a pretty average price for a restaurant. Hopefully the wine is average too. Oh and yes its definitely jackets for men.

When are you there?

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report - Day 6 - The wedding day

Hey Voy, its a shame I can't find the current menu but hopefully it will be up there soon. Thanks for posting that report, I'm reading through it now. You'll have to post back when you do go - I'd love to hear what you thought.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report - Day 6 - The wedding day

Hi Ange - we leave for NYC on the 10th of May and we are eating at the London on the 13th.

Liverpool UK
Level Contributor
2,722 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report - Day 6 - The wedding day

Gordon's sounds fantastic the price is really good!

9. Re: Trip report - Day 6 - The wedding day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 09:20