We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Igloo Bar

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
63 posts
4 reviews
Igloo Bar

For those that might want to check out the Igloo Bar, don't. Not worth it, in my opinion. The only way you can see the skyline is if you get out of the igloo and walk to the fenced area. The website is not what you actually see. The place was a bit dirty. My friend and I thought it would be something different to see. We decided to get something to eat there. DO NOT DO IT!! We each ordered the cheeseburger and fries. The burger was oversalted frozen patties that resembled a McDonald's hamburger. The burgers were burned, as was the bun. The fries were mainly crumbs. Each fry was no bigger than about an inch and half and those were cold. It was a waste of time and money and not to mention the walk to get there.

Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
1,288 Reviews
from US$89.99*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
149 Reviews
from US$175.00*
Best Seller
NYC One World Observatory...
554 Reviews
from US$34.00*
7 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
104,448 posts
12 reviews
1. Re: Igloo Bar

I assume you mean 230 Fifth In one of the igloos?

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
63 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Igloo Bar

Yes, at 230 5th. Not worth the time and effort to go there.

Stowmarket, United...
Level Contributor
339 posts
23 reviews
3. Re: Igloo Bar

Obviously different to the glorious summer....it is one of my favourite memories of my trip! Overlooking the ESB with a cocktail in my hand!

Cornwall UK
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
141 reviews
4. Re: Igloo Bar

We actually had a very nice forum get together huddled in one of the igloos at 230 fifth a couple of years ago. Nothing to complain about here from me 😊

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
10,502 posts
26 reviews
5. Re: Igloo Bar

Sorry you didn't have a good time, but I'm with Debbie. I went to a different Forum get together at 230 5th Avenue last Christmas. Arrived while it was still daylight and oohed and aaghed at the view - the Empire State Building was so close you felt you could reach out and touch it. We loved our igloo and our red dressing gowns; the service was friendly and it was a lovely lovely evening.

Re the quality of the food - did you tell them there? Given it was so awful, and the problems were so obvious and visible, I would have sent it back.

<< not to mention the walk to get there.>>

How can the venue be responsible for how long you took to get there? It's right by 2 subway stations and many buses go down 5th. You could have organised your day differently - the Flatiron District has a lot to see and do, so an afternoon there would have been very enjoyable. And that would have meant you avoided a long walk.

Edited: 12 December 2017, 22:16
ottawa
Level Contributor
474 posts
1 review
6. Re: Igloo Bar

The igloos were super tacky but the view was so worth it! Loved my visit.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
63 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: Igloo Bar

We went at night. Didn't really mind the walk and yes, took subway to get close to it. The so called red dressing gowns were in a bin and they didn't look clean. Putting one on just wasn't happening. Yes, we complained about the food and were told that they never had ever received complaints about it. The waitress mumbled something about us wanting a free dinner. When only a bite is taken out of the burger and only a couple fries were eaten, how can one figure we wanted a free dinner. I'm not the sort of person that wants something for nothing. I'm a grown woman that can afford to buy a nice dinner and wasn't asking for something for nothing. I guess if I was a 20 something person, then maybe we would have had a different experience. We seemed to have been the oldest people in the place. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. And yes,,,,in my opinion, the entire place was tacky.

Edited: 12 December 2017, 23:07
Reply to: Igloo Bar
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted