We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How fancy to dress for St. Thomas Christmas Eve?

Sammamish...
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How fancy to dress for St. Thomas Christmas Eve?

Packing three boys and myself. Trying to keep the amount of luggage to a minimum (hard with winter clothes). Boys plan on khaki pants and collared shirts. Do they need to be dressier than this? And do I need to pack them dress shoes? I assume no jeans?? Thanks!

Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
1,239 Reviews
from US$89.99*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
149 Reviews
from US$175.00*
Best Seller
NYC One World Observatory...
550 Reviews
from US$34.00*
13 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
103,989 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How fancy to dress for St. Thomas Christmas Eve?

No sneakers. I don,t know what you call dress shoes but shoes. They could get away with Topsiders or maybe dark boots. Maybe a nice sweater over the shirt. Many will be in blue blazers. This is a well heeled, well dressed congregation.

Sammamish...
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: How fancy to dress for St. Thomas Christmas Eve?

dress shoes for my boys is anything but sneakers. They think since they are black they will not be noticed but sounds like I need to throw in another pair

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
9,349 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How fancy to dress for St. Thomas Christmas Eve?

I don't know, I have never been to St. Thomas on Christmas Eve, but I do think many of the regular congregants will be "in the country" for Christmas and those that remain may be happy to have some extra visitor bodies. Many of the Episcopal congregations in New York used to be very snooty (in the olden days the ushers at Sunday services at St. Bart's wore tails; they probably did the same at St. Thomas). However, especially with children, as long as they are neatly dressed, I'm not certain you will be made to feel poorly because they are wearing black sneakers.

I was at the Christmas concert at St. Barts last week and attire really ran the gamut. St. Bart's is admittedly nowadays a more casual congregation than St. Thomas and it wasn't a formal service, but in cold weather I think there is a widespread assumption in the city (whether in church or at the opera) that people may dress the way they feel they need to (especially the very young and the very old).

Edited: 17 December 2017, 01:35
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
18,015 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How fancy to dress for St. Thomas Christmas Eve?

They will be much better off with boots or low booties that are good in the snow (sneakers usually are useless if the snow is more than an inch or 2 and we've had snow 3 times so far this week). And those will look much better than wearing sneakers to an upscale church.

And since when are shoes "fancy"?

Edited: 17 December 2017, 02:25
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,785 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How fancy to dress for St. Thomas Christmas Eve?

How old are the kids? I think for kids under 8 or so, anything goes for shoes. Older than that and I would put them in something other than sneakers.

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
4,733 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How fancy to dress for St. Thomas Christmas Eve?

I would not fixate on shoes. In a crowded church, no one can lower their eyes to see what's on your feet. In fact, I have worn LL Bean rubber hunting shoes to the Metropolitan Opera when the weather called for it. And this is an open service at a house of worship. You will see all ranges of clothing, from ragged sweaters to suit and tie.

I certainly wore a sport jacket and a tie to St. Thomas' "Messiah". But as long as you are neat and clean, no one will care. This is New York City, a very heterogeneous place. At Trinity Wall Street last week, a duuuude near me wore his Five Points newsboy cap through the first half of "The Messiah". He and his date left at intermission, I guess because there turned out to be no electric bass in the continuo.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
103,989 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How fancy to dress for St. Thomas Christmas Eve?

LLBean rubber boots are part of the preppy uniform.;). I do sort of agree that obsessing about shoes, especially is not necessary.

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
9,349 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How fancy to dress for St. Thomas Christmas Eve?

It is, after all, a church and not the admissions committee at the Racquet Club. Who was it in the Bible who said something like "all who present themselves shall be welcomed?" If I'm not mistaken, it was Jesus, though I can't quote chapter and verse.

I wear hiking boots and shoes all the time, including to Lincoln Center. Last week I wore trail shoes to the Christmas concert at St. Bart's because it was cold and icy and that was what I felt comfortable in. I dont't recall anyone looking at my feet and I saw plenty of people in similar attire.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
16,590 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How fancy to dress for St. Thomas Christmas Eve?

Our NYC kids go around on ankle boots from Zara which are quite comfortable and very stylish when they are not in their everyday runners or school shoes.

Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
7,306 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How fancy to dress for St. Thomas Christmas Eve?

St. Thomas is very formal and men always wear jacket and tie. The custom there is to enter for a service and kneel and pray prior to the start. When the service ends, people do not rush out, but again kneel and pray and slowly disperse. This is very different from St. Patrick's nearly across the street.

Edited: 18 December 2017, 00:12
Reply to: How fancy to dress for St. Thomas Christmas Eve?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted