We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tryp vs. Marriott Midtown East

New Zealand
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tryp vs. Marriott Midtown East

I love reading the advice on this forum and hoped I could get some opinion on two hotels.

We are a family of 2 adults and 2 teens (13&15) and are hoping for 3 beds, fridge and maybe a microwave. We will be first staying for 5 nights in the Lower East Side at the Holiday Inn (2 double beds) to be close to my cousin and then want to move to a bigger room in a different spot.

Our dates for this part are 8 Jan - 15 Jan.

A while ago I made cancelable bookings at the Tryp Times Square South ($320/night) and on cyber Monday I made a booking at the Marriott Midtown East ($225/night).

Which one is the better hotel? And is there another hotel which would be better? Thanks in advance for any replies.

Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
1,246 Reviews
from US$89.99*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
149 Reviews
from US$175.00*
Best Seller
NYC One World Observatory...
552 Reviews
from US$34.00*
10 replies to this topic
Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton
Level Contributor
3,825 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tryp vs. Marriott Midtown East

Can you please clarify which Marriott hotel you booked? There is the New York Marriott East Side, the Courtyard by Marriott New York Manhattan/Midtown East and the Residence Inn by Marriott Manhattan/Midtown East.

Also, I'm curious about which type of room you booked at both hotels. Just want to make sure we are making a fair comparison for you.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Tryp vs. Marriott Midtown East

Thanks for your reply mcwhippet

Courtyard by Marriott Midtown East - through Expedia

Room = multiple beds (2 queen beds plus 1 double sofa bed)

I'm also worried that because the booking is through Expedia, there is no guarantee that we get this bedding arrangement. Are we at great risk of this happening?

Tryp Times Square South

Room = 1 king bed family room with bunk beds - booked direct on hotel website

new york
Level Contributor
3,415 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tryp vs. Marriott Midtown East

I can't speak for the Tryp though it is well regarded for families. I have stayed at the Courtyard 3 times and was always happy. It is one large room but they are quite large for NYC. You might want to contact the hotel directly and confirm the bedding arrangements (I always booked direct with Marriott and received the 2 beds plus sofa bed).

New Zealand
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Tryp vs. Marriott Midtown East

Thanks george00, great to hear a first hand experience. Much appreciated.

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton
Level Contributor
3,825 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tryp vs. Marriott Midtown East

Does your Expedia reservation actually say that your bed arrangement is not guaranteed? That would make me nervous too. I agree with checking directly with the hotel to confirm if you can.

I have stayed at the Tryp, liked it very much, and would gladly stay there again. The area is not the most scenic of the city, but it is very convenient for traveling wherever you need to go. I like that the Tryp's room has a sitting area that doesn't also need to be used as a bed. (But that might not be worth $95 a night!)

Both rooms have fridges, but no microwaves, so no distinction there.

Another spot to throw into consideration may be the Residence Inn by Marriott Downtown Manhattan/World Trade Center. Their Maiden Lane Studio has two queen beds, a sitting room with a sofa bed, and a well-equipped kitchenette (full-size fridge, microwave, sink, dishes and cutlery, dishwasher, stovetop) which would be nice for a seven-night stay. Their Long Term Stay rate comes in at $309 a night, and this includes breakfast as well.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Tryp vs. Marriott Midtown East

Thanks mcwhippet, the Residence Inn Maiden Lane looks fantastic! Would you say that the location is nicer than midtown.

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton
Level Contributor
3,825 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tryp vs. Marriott Midtown East

Yes, I would say it's nicer, and just as, if not more convenient. Although you are at the south end of Manhattan, many spots you may want to visit very close by, plus you have excellent close-by subway connections for pretty much anywhere you would like to go.

I stayed there this past spring and quite enjoyed it apart from some quibbly little things, and would gladly stay again.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
104,049 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tryp vs. Marriott Midtown East

While I think the Tryp is a great family hotel, $330/night for those dates sounds crazy expensive. The Courtyard Midtown East has big rooms, but they are just a room.

The Kimberly is $278/night plus tax ( fully cancelable on hotels.com) for a 1 bedroom suite with 2 double beds and sofabed, kitchenette. I think that or the Residence Inn Wall st. if you prefer queen beds are your best bets. I don't think the Wall st. location is nicer or better than midtown. It's different. Midtown east where the Kimberly is walkable o Fifth Ave., Rockefeller Center and Central Park. On Wall st. You can walk to the 9/11 Memorial, OWO, the ferries.

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton
Level Contributor
3,825 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tryp vs. Marriott Midtown East

nywhiz is right about different, not nicer. I misspoke. When I answered I was just thinking of the area of the financial district that the Residence Inn is in vs. the area of midtown immediately surrounding the Tryp and Penn Station, etc. You definitely can't equate all of midtown to that specific area.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Tryp vs. Marriott Midtown East

So much thanks for the replies. We will look into the residence inn and Kimberly now. They certainly weren’t on my radar so thanks for the great knowledge shared on this forum.

Reply to: Tryp vs. Marriott Midtown East
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted