We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Parisian Woman vs. Kinky Boots vs. Puffs

Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
The Parisian Woman vs. Kinky Boots vs. Puffs

I'm going to be in New York for 5 nights at the end of January, and one of the key things I want to do is see shows on Broadway. I love my theatre - I have a particular fondness for musicals, but I also really enjoy straight plays.

General plan will be to play tourist during the day, and then catch a show every night (except the first night I arrive, since I won't get in until after 8pm). I've already bought tickets for three out of the remaining four nights: Anastasia, Phantom of the Opera, and Waitress.

Now I have one night free (Saturday), and I'm torn: at the moment, it's down to The Pairisian Woman, Kinky Boots, and Puffs (I'm a mad Harry Potter Fan).

Any thoughts? I don't suppose anyone's seen all three (or at least, two of the three) and can throw in their two cents?

I've resorted to making a thread on this, because I've been umming and ahhing over this for more than a week and still haven't made a decision. :) Would like to buy a ticket to this last show in the next couple of days.

9 replies to this topic
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
40,558 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Parisian Woman vs. Kinky Boots vs. Puffs

What I suggest is you go to show-score.com and read the reviews for the 3 you are contemplating. In addition to turning professional reviews into 1-100 reviews they have many many reviews by average people. Each review, is short but has a , 'See this if you... and "Don't see this if you.... section. Read through and see what grabs you or what chases you away!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
442 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Parisian Woman vs. Kinky Boots vs. Puffs

I have only seen Kinky Boots out of the three you mentioned (though have seen tons of musicals) and it was one of my favorites of all time. It's very fun, engaging for the audience, and has a great message.

dallas, texas
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Parisian Woman vs. Kinky Boots vs. Puffs

I also have only seen Kinky Boots (out of your three), but I am certain that you would not be disappointed in this show. If you love your theatre, this show will satisfy your need for music, dancing, story, production values, and heart. We saw this show last month (with the return performances of Billy Porter and Stark Sands, the original leads) and with front row center orchestra tickets from TKTS. Truly a night of great theatre!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
38,953 posts
626 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Parisian Woman vs. Kinky Boots vs. Puffs

Have seen Kinky Boots it was ok not all that great to me.

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
4,742 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Parisian Woman vs. Kinky Boots vs. Puffs

I can't think of three more "different" choices for you to be selecting from. I haven't seen The Parisian Woman, but if you check the previous advice research suggestions, you'll see that the reviews aren't stellar. Perhaps it is too late to get tickets to Come From Away or The Band's Visit, but they are slightly meatier than the rest of your program, while still being "fun". I wonder if an Off-Broadway show has a big enough scale for your expressed interests. (I was disappointed with the book of Waitress; it was kind of soap-opera-ey to me.)

For the end of January, there should be good availability, but a few weak shows will probably close before you get here. There's no danger of losing your money, but you might have to have another choice ready when you get here. The half-price TKTS booth is OK (except for weather exposure!) at the end of January.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
17,851 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Parisian Woman vs. Kinky Boots vs. Puffs

The Parisian Woman has a 69 on Show-Score which is an abysmal score. Go only if you are obsessed with Uma Thurman.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
176 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: The Parisian Woman vs. Kinky Boots vs. Puffs

Hello!

I have seen Puffs and Kinky Boots. Kinky Boots is your standard musical fare - if you're into musicals then you will most probably like it. That being said, I am also returning to New York in 4 weeks and I have booked to see Puffs again. It is incredibly funny especially for a Potterhead. Given that your are already seeing your share of fully fledged musicals, I would recommend Puffs - I just got discounted orchestra tickets so look for the codes before you book.

Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Parisian Woman vs. Kinky Boots vs. Puffs

Thank you! I found Show-Score.com to be very helpful.

Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Parisian Woman vs. Kinky Boots vs. Puffs

Belated thanks for the replies and advice, everyone. I've ended up getting a ticket to 'Come From Away' - I was quite close to buying a ticket to 'Puffs', but some friends of friends recently came back from New York and spoke very highly of 'Come From Away', so my FOMO's kicked in and insisted I need to see it. Also figured we're not likely to get 'Come From Away' in Australia any time soon (if ever), so I may as well take the opportunity now to see what all the positive reviews are about!

Reply to: The Parisian Woman vs. Kinky Boots vs. Puffs
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted