We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Barclays center from NJ

Plainsboro, New...
2 posts
Save Topic
Traveling to Barclays center from NJ

I usually don't stray far from Penn station when I come up (NEC) to NYC, but there are probably better ways to get to Brooklyn than taking NJT to Penn and then subway to Barclays. I saw some suggestions about driving to Brookly and then parking near subways and then taking the subway there. Suggestions?

Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
1,246 Reviews
from US$89.99*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
149 Reviews
from US$175.00*
Best Seller
NYC One World Trade Center...
552 Reviews
from US$34.00*
7 replies to this topic
Queens, NY
Level Contributor
9,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to Barclays center from NJ

Not really. The thing is, you could drive across Staten Island, park your car in Sunset Park and then take the R train up to Barclays. But ... you'd end up paying the Staten Island toll, and 278 is a mess anyway. I mean, sure, if that timing works out for you with traffic, but I don't necessarily see the advantage of that over taking the NEC and the 2 train.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
64 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to Barclays center from NJ

I agree with #1. Traffic on 278 can be horrendous night or day, and the toll is something like fifteen bucks. It could take you 15 or 20 minutes to find parking in Sunset Park, and then it’s 10 or 15 minutes on the subway.

If the traffic breaks right then maybe it’s quicker, but it could easily end up being much more trouble than it’s worth.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
64 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to Barclays center from NJ

Also note that the 2/3 trains are currently not running from Penn to Brooklyn on the weekend. You can take the C instead - the Lafayette stop is a few blocks from Barclays.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,795 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to Barclays center from NJ

The only good alternative to taking the train to NYPenn and getting the subway from there would be if you could take the PATH from Newark or somewhere along that line to WTC and take the subway from there. If Newark isn't convenient, then going to Penn and getting the 2 or 3 straight to Barclay's is your best bet. (And it's very fast.)

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,795 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling to Barclays center from NJ

Ninetybillion makes a good point about checking the MTA webpage for construction announcements for your planned date. The alternative to taking the C is to walk a block from Penn to Herald Square and get the B, Q, D, N, or R to Atlantic. Any of those (other than the R) would be faster than getting the C.

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Cape May, Jersey Shore
Level Contributor
3,105 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling to Barclays center from NJ

If you drive up you could go through SI and park in Brooklyn but close to the Verrazano-86th Street area. This avoids the mess that 278 is going through Brooklyn. You still would take the R train to Barclays.

At issue is you would pay to cross from NJ into SI ( I think $15) then pay to cross from Brooklyn to SI via VZ at the end of your night ($16)

Also, parking is tight in Bay Ridge near 86th St. You could spend an hour driving in circles to find a spot. Unfortunately, not many good options.

Plainsboro, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling to Barclays center from NJ

Ok, seems like taking NEC to Penn and then the subway is still the best option. Might be best because I'm familiar with the trains/metro...not so much driving. Train fare wise (37$+subway) seems to be not much more than the tolls...? Hopefully the 2/3 will be running :) Thanks everyone!

Reply to: Traveling to Barclays center from NJ
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted