We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Theater Show on Broadway

california
Level Contributor
15 posts
12 reviews
Theater Show on Broadway

Can anybody recommend a musical from the list below for five adults (four under 30). We were lucky enough to see Hamilton last year and also Kinky Boots the year before.

Thank you.

Come from Away

Dear Evan Hansen

Beautiful

Once

Waitress

24 replies to this topic
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
40,834 posts
39 reviews
1. Re: Theater Show on Broadway

Since no one here knows you, it is hard to make recommendations.

however,

I suggest you go to show-score.com. The site has hundreds of reviews and gives each show a rating, based on the reviews from 1-100. Most of the reviews are by ordinary people. Each review has a section, " Go if you..." and "Don't go if you...". So a show could be rated 90. Someone could,have loved it, but written, " don't go if you hate pink and green costumes" (obviously, I'm being silly) So, if you hate pink and green...

Here is your first show-- to get you started

https:/…show-detail-member-reviews

Canada
Level Contributor
5,114 posts
21 reviews
2. Re: Theater Show on Broadway

"Once" closed years ago.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
18,082 posts
28 reviews
3. Re: Theater Show on Broadway

Dear Evan Hansen is sold out months in advance.

california
Level Contributor
15 posts
12 reviews
4. Re: Theater Show on Broadway

Thank you, even in April I assume?

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
40,834 posts
39 reviews
5. Re: Theater Show on Broadway

No, there are varying amounts of tix available. I did not check prices. BTW, this links to the official seller.

https://dearevanhansen.com/

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
80 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Theater Show on Broadway

With the caveat that I don't know you or your tastes, I'd go for Come From Away. I saw it last year and thought it was wonderful. With the exception of Once (which someone else mentioned was already closed), I've seen all of the musicals on your list, and I thought Come From Away was the best total musical. That said..

If you like the music of Carole King, consider Beautiful. I'm not a fan of juke box musicals, but I thought this one was a stop above the others.

If you like the movie Waitress, consider seeing the musical Waitress. I'd never seen the movie before seeing the musical and I thought it was just alright.

And Dear Evan Hansen (along with Hamilton) is still the hot ticket of the season, so if you want to see the hot show, try to get tickets for that, but you'd likely be looking on the secondary market.

california
Level Contributor
15 posts
12 reviews
7. Re: Theater Show on Broadway

Thanks so much. We like musicals, and have gone to one comedy (A Fish in the Dark). One of my sons is a musician so he might appreciate Beautiful,

Canada
Level Contributor
5,114 posts
21 reviews
8. Re: Theater Show on Broadway

I clicked on some random dates for Dear Evan Hansen in April. Each had a handful of scattered single seats only, at the very end of the row, with prices starting at $135. You won't get seats together, but it is doable without going through a reseller. It's a fabulous show.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
775 posts
15 reviews
9. Re: Theater Show on Broadway

If your son is a musician, he might also enjoy Waitress. The band is on stage and part of the visual action. But IMHO in terms of quality, Dear Evan Hanson.

atlanta
Level Contributor
299 posts
69 reviews
10. Re: Theater Show on Broadway

I loved Dear Evan Hansen and Come From Away. Both serious topics but also some humor. Men in the group might prefer Come From Away. Once is fabulous but it is no longer running. I'd love to see that one again. Beautiful would be further down my list - unless you are a huge fan of Carole King and her music and also the songs she wrote for others to perform. We are seeing Waitress next week..... Men might also enjoy Jersey Boys - my husband loved that one and he is not much a fan of broadway style shows.

Reply to: Theater Show on Broadway
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted