We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bargain shopping in NYC?

London, United...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Bargain shopping in NYC?

Hi All

We are coming to NYC in May 2018 and as this is a mix group of friends we will be looking for good places to shop around NYC (girls: designer clothing & bags; lads: electronics and trainers). We have no time to travel to Woodbury outlets and other shoppins mekkas outside New York City, so please let us know where we can buy good stuff at reasonable/bargain/discunted prices? We are happy to move accross NYC area and NJ if need to be. Thanks All.

6 replies to this topic
New York, New York
Level Contributor
13,828 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bargain shopping in NYC?

I don't get why going to NJ would be okay but going to Woodbury isn't. (Scratching my head.)

The best place to buy electronics in NYC is B&H. They have "photo" in the name but that's a carryover from their start. They carry all kinds of electronics and provide the best service. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/

Do bear in mind that they close early for the Jewish Sabbath on Fridays, are closed Saturdays, and close for Jewish holidays. Check the website to be sure.

Women's apparel:

The women should google "sample sales nyc" and see if there are any designers they're interested in, and if so, get on their mailing lists. Here's a site that's pretty good:

https://www.chicmi.com/new-york/sample-sales/

Barney's Warehouse (in Brooklyn -- 194 Atlantic Avenue)

Also:

SAKS Off Fifth

Bloomingdale's Outlet

Nordstrom Rack

Macy's always has sales

SAKS Fifth Avenue has amazing sales, when they're on

Lord & Taylor -- shoes are about 20% less than same exact ones at Bloomingdale's

If there are particular brands that they're interested in, they should sign up for alerts at the respective websites.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
16,638 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bargain shopping in NYC?

Regarding "designer" clothing: depending on what part of May you arrive, it could be a great time for shopping as "Private Sales" or "Pre Sales" start and by the end of the month the Spring merchandise is starting to be cleared out to make way for Fall.'

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
18,141 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bargain shopping in NYC?

Don't miss Century 21 for womens and mens clothing as well as linens, etc. Some very good discounts on designer things as well as moderate - but definitely expect things to be somewhat picked over.

London, United...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bargain shopping in NYC?

Thank you guys for your response. Much appreciated. And i think we have enough information to do a bit of bargain shopping. Best regards

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,216 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bargain shopping in NYC?

I can understand why you might consider Jersey Gardens and not Woodbury. It's significantly closer and transportation is cheaper.

That said, I'm glad you've decided to stick with Manhattan options. It makes sense, may get you better products, may make it easier to split up and shop for your different things for a bit.

For clothing, shoppers should consider whether their goal is to hunt around and maybe find a few items that they feel are a great bargain or whether they truly expect to purchase many items. If it's serious shopping with expectations of many purchases (vs a fun hunt for a few great bargains), a department store may be better than discount shopping. The discount stores can be hit or miss for finding things you like in the right sizes and colors. Many overseas visitors find regular department store pricing still a bargain compared to what they spend at home.

New York, New York
Level Contributor
13,828 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bargain shopping in NYC?

I forgot to add, there's a firm that sells legitimate designer goods at discount for short periods of time. Sign up for emails from Soiffer Haskin. Credit cards only. Designer brands at significant discounts.

Reply to: Bargain shopping in NYC?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted