We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Faulty advice re visiting Harlem, Bronx etc??

Staffordshire, UK
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Topic
Faulty advice re visiting Harlem, Bronx etc??

Hi we are visiting NYC from the UK for the first time tomorrow!

I've got the impression that the city is much safer these days and that former no-go areas for tourists are now okay (given the usual sensible precautions, not travelling at night etc).

However i came across a post on another site (the inferior Virtual-Tourist) which stated...

1. if you are White stay in downtown or Midtown Manhattan. 2. Do not go to Brooklyn or the Bronx or Harlem whatever you do. They are EXTREMELY dangerous for White people especially at night.

Now i'm planning to visit Brooklyn and Harlem with wife and 12 yr old son. We are generally well travelled and savvy. Have you guys got any advice?

On a similar note i would like to visit Coney Island possibly as it gets dark (a friend recommended this) Is this overly risky travelling back via subway? Is one route better than another?

Durham
Level Contributor
3,931 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Faulty advice re visiting Harlem, Bronx etc??

Well I survived a trip to the Bronx, Harlem, Queens and Brooklyn (3 times)......whilst on occasion, particularly in the Bronx we were the only two white faces - and certainly the only two with a guidebook we were fine.....as you said just be sensible as you would anywhere :)

I also think you'll be fine on the subway back from Coney, I haven't done it myself but I have done a trip out to JFK on it and travelled round Manhattan late on and been fine. If you want to feel more 'safe' sit in the carriage with the conductor box :)

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
6,176 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Faulty advice re visiting Harlem, Bronx etc??

Hello let's put it this way in new york, You have your good and bad areas.One block could be not the most desired and the next ok.The bronx you have city island which is nice restaurants and arthur ave which is all italian, fordum road much discount shopping and every race you want to see.Harlem has had alot redone and made very nice, there are bad neighborhoods where ever you go.You just should go to the tourist sights, I think they mean these people that tell you beware, is not to go to a drug area with crack houses (Ghetto) there are mixed races all over n.y.c .As far as the race color issue, if you are a white person going into downtown or midtown, that is your own personal choice.We are all new yorkers and I think that if you feel unsafe then stay where most tourists go.I think as far as you saying about the white issue if a white person goes in an area, then maybe they will think you were a cop.I think this is an isuue that could offend other guests on here.We are all human and I think the color issue really does not need to be addressed.There is good and bad in every race.just because you are white, does not stop you from getting mugged on central park west, lexington ave etc.If you are scared but want to visit certain risky areas then rent a car .I think for not offending anyone on here you should reword your question.Best wishes and have a good vacation.I do not want anyone to be offended by your question, do to you talking about race.

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
5,593 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Faulty advice re visiting Harlem, Bronx etc??

No neighborhood in any major city is 100% safe 100% of the time.

That includes midtown and downtown Manhattan as well as other boroughs.

Use common sense and keep in mind there is safety in numbers. Avoid walking along vacant streets. Night time is not the time to get lost. Use public transportation or taxis to get to destinations you are unfamiliar with.

Ireland
Level Contributor
1,930 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Faulty advice re visiting Harlem, Bronx etc??

We've been to Brooklyn on both our recent trips and the only incident we had was a guy at traffic lights near Juniors saying "hey whitey" to me.

We always go in daylight and try not to venture off the main thoroughfares.

I felt more safe in Brooklyn than I do in Dublin.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Faulty advice re visiting Harlem, Bronx etc??

I hope someone has the phone number of GWB's cardiologist...

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,400 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Faulty advice re visiting Harlem, Bronx etc??

Voy, great post. I read on here a lot about how safe New York is. Guys, There are NO safe cities. Some may be less dangerous than others, but they all pose some risk, threat or danger. You should assume this wherever you visit.

In addition, the OP was told that certain areas are unsafe for white people. Right or wrong, he simply asked if this was true. If I found out that bald headed Texans were not safe in a city I was traveling to, I would check into it. I seriously doubt he meant any harm by his question.

Scott

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
6,176 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Faulty advice re visiting Harlem, Bronx etc??

I know he did not mean any harm, I just think that some people take things different at times.I know what macsurfer meant, but not everyone takes things the same and this is a public forum.I think there was no harm intended.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
6,176 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Faulty advice re visiting Harlem, Bronx etc??

chipper tex with all due respect:bold headed texans are not talking about a persons race.Let's phrase it as white texans with bold heads, now we got an issue.I think like iIsaid no harm done, but when dealing with public we need to watch what we say.

chicago
Level Contributor
814 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Faulty advice re visiting Harlem, Bronx etc??

I am a single white woman who took her 3 young sons alone to these areas you mentioned last summer. I'd reccommend a tour of Harlem, Harlem Heritage tours are great, so you know what you are looking at and don't miss anything. We also took the subway out to Coney Island for the day and also took in a Yankee game via subway in the Bronx. I never once felt unsafe. Commonsense like everyone says. I did however feel safer with our tour guide Neal Shoemaker for our tour of Harlem as he seemed to know everyone hanging out that day. It was 98 and very hot. Can't reccommend this tour enough, it is a real walking tour of harlem. Be safe and have fun!

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Faulty advice re visiting Harlem, Bronx etc??

I would think twice about Coney Island at night. It'd be different in the summer, but it's pretty deserted at this time of year.