We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family of 5: Running out of hotel suite options: Help!

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
254 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Family of 5: Running out of hotel suite options: Help!

Our family of 5 (3kids) will be in New York 30, 31 December 2007 and 01 Jan 2008. Previous posts suggested Radio City and Double Tree, but they are fully booked! We are so disappointed as we wish to be near Times Square.

Being anxtious I made a reservation at Embassy Suites Hotel, but it seems they are far from Times Square? Any opinions on this hotel?

Any other suggestions to a suite hotel for family of 5 near Times Square?

I'll appreciate your valuable input.

royboy

Durham
Level Contributor
3,931 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family of 5: Running out of hotel suite options: Help!

couple of things - how old are your children and why do you want to be near Time Square? If you are planning to be in Time Square for the ball drop consider that you are stuck for several hours in a very crowded place with no access to toilet facilities....(just saying this in case this is your plan and your children are small - something for you to consider).

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
349 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family of 5: Running out of hotel suite options: Help!

Have you considered Best Western Hospitality House-it has agreat spacious 2 bedroom apartments. Its a 15min walk to Times Square or a quick shuttle on the subway from Grand Central which is really close by. We are there over New Years and I'll be quite glad to be a little away from Times Square

Texas
Destination Expert
for Port Antonio
Level Contributor
979 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family of 5: Running out of hotel suite options: Help!

you may want to try the affinia properties they have several and most rooms are suites

www.affinia.com

the salisbury is another option

check quikbook.com for pretty decent rates

CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family of 5: Running out of hotel suite options: Help!

I notice you didn't give your kids ages. We are a family of five, and we often book connecting rooms, and left the door open between the two rooms. This also gives you two bathrooms which isn't often the case with suites.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
254 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family of 5: Running out of hotel suite options: Help!

Hi

My kids are 14, 12 and 9 years old.

Royboy

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
254 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family of 5: Running out of hotel suite options: Help!

I just checked, Best Western Hospitality is also fully booked. I am confused with what Affinity Hotel to book. What one is the best or nearest to Times square?

royboy

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
254 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family of 5: Running out of hotel suite options: Help!

I have now booked at the Affinia Manhatten. Am I correct that it is better located than the Embassy Hotel? Any comments on that?

royboy

Texas
Destination Expert
for Port Antonio
Level Contributor
979 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family of 5: Running out of hotel suite options: Help!

i'm sorry i can't tell you about the location compared to embassy suites but we stayed at the affinia manhattan last month and really liked the location and hotel for that matter

the location is right across from penn station so i felt transit was at my feet so to speak....could get anywhere in manhattan we wanted to go easily so i felt it was centrally located....before going i had read that the area was seedy etc didn't feel unsafe in the least but will say i didn't find many "decent" restaurants around the hotel...but we were so on the go so that it didn't really bother us and if the price was right would love to stay there in the future

we had a studio suite with two beds i would say the room was large enough for a roll away if needed......small kitchen as well

i have photos and a review posted

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,791 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family of 5: Running out of hotel suite options: Help!

The Affinia Manhattan is in midtown about 10 blocks (10 minutes) from Times Square. It's certainly a more central location than the Embassy Suites. But I too urge you NOT to consider going near Times Square on New Year's Eve with children. Instead you should go to Central Park for the midnight fireworks.

The Salisbury would be a great hotel for that.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
241 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Family of 5: Running out of hotel suite options: Help!

We stayed at the Embassy Suites this past October. You are a 5-10 minute walk to the Chambers St subway station. It's a 15 minute ride at most to Times Square. I actually prefer the quietness of this area vs. midtown and you get a free cooked to order breakfast and a manager's reception with free drinks for 2 hours each night. Don't be afraid to make the commute.