We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JFK to Times Square

Norway
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Topic
JFK to Times Square

After a 13 hours journey from Norway to New York, how do I get from JFK to Times Square (Casablanca Hotel)?

We (my girlfriend and I) arrive at 6 PM on a Wednesday in late August. What is the options for transportation from JFK to our hotel?

Please give us some suggestions on both taxi-fares and trains/busses.

Thanks!

New York, NY
Level Contributor
9,648 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JFK to Times Square

There are a few options:

Taxi - $45.00 flat rate & toll & tip, both from & to JKF.

Bus -to Times Square, then walk a few blocks to hotel - here is the website with all of the information;

!5.00 one way, $27.00 round trip

http://www.nyairportservice.com/

Airtrain & subway information:

$5.00 airtrain, 2.00 subway = $7.00

http://www.mta.info/mta/airtrain.htm

Norway
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: JFK to Times Square

If we go for the airtrain +subway. Can someone please tell us what station we have to use? Airtrain fra JFK to Jamaica and from there a subway to what station??

Thanks for the reply so far!

New York
Level Contributor
1,809 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JFK to Times Square

Norwegianguy,

You would take the Airtrain to Jamaica then transfer to teh E train towards Manhattan. You could take it to the 42nd street stop.

Here is a link to the MTA subway map.

You could also take the Long Island Rail Road from Jamaica to Penn Station. From there you could get out (you'd be at 7th avfe and 32nd st) and take a taxi. Or transfer there for the subway (1,2 3) to times square.

http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htm

rqf
New York City
Level Contributor
1,504 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: JFK to Times Square

If you decide to take the airtrain/subway, consider taking the airtrain to the Howard Beach station, not Jamaica. At Howard Beach station take the "A" train to the W. 42nd Street station in Manhattan. You will exit subway at 42nd St and 8th Avenue. Walk one short block to W. 43rd St. Go east (right) on W. 43rd. Cross 7th Avenue and then Broadway. Hotel is about 100 feet past Broadway on W. 43rd St.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JFK to Times Square

I'm not sure why he would want to take the A train--it takes 10 minutes longer on the A than the E, according to the MTA.

New York NY
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JFK to Times Square

I strongly prefer the Air Train over a taxi when I'm arriving during daylight hours, I hate sitting in traffic on the Van Wyck.

For Times Square I suggest Jamaica and the E train, its almost equal to take the A train but I think the E is better because the trains run a little more frequently (remember, alternate A trains originate at Lefferts and don't stop at Howard Beach).

The Air Train serves all terminals, simply follow the signs to the Air Train. There are friendly greeters to point you to the Jamaica Air Train, plus the system clearly announces what train is arriving, its designed to be especially easy for people who are unfamiliar with public transport.

At Jamaica you'll buy your MetroCard to exit.

Unlimited ride MetroCards for the bus and subway don't work on the AirTrain. If you are planning to use the subways and buses alot and will be purchasing an unlimited ride card ($24.00 for seven days) you'll need a separate card for the AirTrain.

Let's say you are planning to travel roundtrip on the Air Train, there are two of you, that is $20.00. To make things confusing there is a 20% bonus on all MetroCard purchases over $10.00. You can actually buy a $17.00 MetroCard and it will be worth over $20.00, this will cover your roundtrip AirTrain, just remember to keep the card separate from the 7 day unlimited ride card you'll buy. This is a moot point if you are not buying the unlimited for the subway.

The AirTrain is excellent, fast, safe, efficient, and it will save you at least $40.00 each way (vs a taxi)

Norway
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: JFK to Times Square

Thanks for all the good advises!

Regarding the MetroCard and the subway- and Airtrainsystem.

We are arriving on Wednesday afternoon and on Wednesday we just need Airtrain&Subway tickets from JFK to our hotel (Casablanca). Then we need unlimited rides with the subway on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday (going back to JFK Sunday night).

What is your suggestions on what kind of tickets to buy for this stay? Don't know yet how much we are going to use the subway, but it may be a good idea to buy an unlimited rides ticket anyways?? What is the price for just a single ride? I think we are going for the airtrain & subway solution, but we really want a good explaination on the airtrain and subway ticket system.

Thanks!

Norway
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: JFK to Times Square

I'm also going to check with the hotel what it costs to arrange a private airport transfer. My guess is that it will be more expensive than taxi. Please give me some advise on my previous post.

Thanks!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: JFK to Times Square

Be sure to read all of the posts on this thread. Taken together, they should answer any question you could have about the Airtrain, etc.:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k1124436…

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
104,003 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: JFK to Times Square

You can buy an unlimited 7 day pass for $24 for each of you for riding the subway/buses and start using it for the 2nd part of your trip from JFK OR buy a pay as you go metrocard for whatever amount you want (you can add to it) that both of you can use. In order for the 7 day card to make sense, you'd need to ride 13 times each.

I would still go with the taxi from JFK. You'll be tired. The other option is to take the Airport Express bus to Port Authority for $15 each. Your hotel is a 5 minute walk from there.