We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finding the M60 SBS bus upon arrival at LGA

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,204 posts
264 reviews
Finding the M60 SBS bus upon arrival at LGA

This will be my first time flying into LGA. How easy is it to find the area where you go to find the buses? I have searched the LGA website and googled, and searched here on TA. No one mentions how to find the bus area. Is that because it is simply a no brainer and there will be plenty of signs? I have been in airports with very poor signage, hence the question.

Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
1,291 Reviews
from US$89.99*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
149 Reviews
from US$175.00*
Best Seller
NYC One World Observatory...
555 Reviews
from US$34.00*
14 replies to this topic
Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
20,277 posts
1. Re: Finding the M60 SBS bus upon arrival at LGA

It's pretty easy.

There are bus stop signs and you'll see the SBS payment receipt machines: nyc.gov/html/brt/html/about/paying-fare.shtml

The "exceptions" are Terminal B where, due to construction, the bus stop is on the upper (departures) level not on the lower level curb outside the baggage claim area and for Terminal A the M60 doesn't stop there from midnight to 6 am. …mta.info/nyct/…index.html

Edited: 09 March 2018, 02:20
Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,204 posts
264 reviews
2. Re: Finding the M60 SBS bus upon arrival at LGA

Thanks Kaye!! I am flying Delta, so it looks like I will be flying into and out of Terminal C or D. Thanks again!! As I read about all the construction around LGA, I am beginning to wish I flew into Newark. However, I really hate subways, so I think this will work in that regard.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
20,277 posts
3. Re: Finding the M60 SBS bus upon arrival at LGA

I just flew into LGA earlier this week and the construction wasn't causing any transport problems (although there were some spectacular foul ups a few months back).

It is a multi-year project so check current conditions for any future trips.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,204 posts
264 reviews
4. Re: Finding the M60 SBS bus upon arrival at LGA

Thanks for the info Kaye. That is a little more reassuring. One more thing if you don't mind. I understand I will need to buy a Metrocard and then use that card in a different machine to purchase the bus ticket. Is that correct?

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,871 posts
5. Re: Finding the M60 SBS bus upon arrival at LGA

Yes, that's correct. And if you're flying Delta, you mostly don't have to worry about the construction. I fly in and out of C just about weekly: just follow the signs. There will be Metrocard machines by baggage claim, and you won't miss the bus stop. Just keep following the signs.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
20,277 posts
6. Re: Finding the M60 SBS bus upon arrival at LGA

Correct. There are instructions for the SBS buses in the first link in #1 above.

You can enter by any door and should keep the proof-of-payment receipt for the duration of the ride in case of a fare inspection (they do happen occasionally - I ride the M60 a lot but have only seen fare inspections within Manhattan). You can pay in coins (exact change) at the curbside machines, but the transfers the driver can give you are only good for another bus - not a transfer to the subway you can get with a Metrocard.

The M60 buses tend to be the extra long "articulated" buses with three doors. Some (but not all) have luggage racks between the first and second doors.

If you're riding the buses a lot there are a few other SBS lines around town - but they're pretty obvious from the route designations and the receipt machines http://web.mta.info/mta/planning/sbs/

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,204 posts
264 reviews
7. Re: Finding the M60 SBS bus upon arrival at LGA

Thanks BB. It is sounding easier and easier. I keep finding articles from several years ago, which can be confusing. I just read that the Q70 bus has luggage racks. Would you happen to know if that is the case on the M60? I should have just a small carryon with me.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
2,393 posts
17 reviews
8. Re: Finding the M60 SBS bus upon arrival at LGA

SBS = Select Bus Service. For these, you use your metrocard to buy ticket from machine before boarding and keep receipt for proof of purchase in case inspector boards.

For regular bus, dip your metrocard in machine by driver when you get on bus.

Edited: 09 March 2018, 04:13
Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,204 posts
264 reviews
9. Re: Finding the M60 SBS bus upon arrival at LGA

I have returned from NYC and would like to thank all of you who helped me understand LGA and finding the bus stop. All went seamlessly thanks to your input/advice. I landed in terminal D. I found the Metrocard Machine in the airport terminal right before you exit the terminal. The bus ticket machine was right at the bus stop. Other than an accident along the route which caused the traffic to be at a total standstill for almost a half hour, all went very well. The bus ended up being a very reasonable cost for transportation. The M60 Select Bus did have one rather small luggage rack, that seemed to be used only by those who were sitting near the rack. Others kept their bags with them. I would not recommend using the bus if you have a lot of bags. I had a very tiny suitcase and a small duffel. It was a great first time experience flying into LGA. Thank you again to all the contributors who helped make my arrival at LGA a pleasant and stress-free one.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
9,245 posts
5 reviews
10. Re: Finding the M60 SBS bus upon arrival at LGA

Where are you actually headed? Unless you are going at an off-hour (like 10 AM or 10 PM), or going to a destination near 125th St, or changing for the Lexington Avenue subway (the first one it crosses), that bus is slow going from avenue to avenue along 125th St.

It's definitely good for the 4,5,6 trains (as I said); it's sort of okay for the 2,3 trains at Lenox Avenue. But really after Lexington or Park, the street is really slow. The bus gets off the Bridge onto 125th at 2nd Avenue, so the first stop at Lex is easy.

If you are going to midtown or even in the 80s on the west side, it may be easier to take the Q70 to Roosevelt Avenue-Jackson Height and take the subway from there.

If you are taking the M60 to the stop in Astoria for the N or W train: Excellent Choice. That works very well. Nice and Pleasant because the bus will not be stuck in any traffic.

And trust me, LGA to Manhattan is a lot easier (short bus, then easy subway) than EWR to Manhattan, with either a commuter train then subway or a sloooooowwwwwww, very expensive taxi.

Reply to: Finding the M60 SBS bus upon arrival at LGA
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted