We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Room Charge

nova scotia
Level Contributor
139 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Room Charge

I'm staying at the Algonquin and they are charging $3.50 per nite on top of the room charge, taxes, etc.

Anyone tell me what this covers or is it just a little profit charging!

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
133 reviews
from US$175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,101 reviews
from US$199.00*
US$214.00
New York in One Day Guided...
972 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,373 reviews
from US$36.00*
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,277 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Room Charge

Dont they specify what its for? Security fee, utility surcharge fee? Or, my favorite - the "resort" fee?

Norwalk
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Room Charge

I'm staying at another hotel but I noticed on my confirmed reservations an extra fee of $1.50 per night unit supplemental tax. Whateever that is, not sure yet. Will email them back about this.

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
5,747 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Room Charge

I can't say how much each is, but there are three New York taxes I know of on hotel rooms:

New York State Sales Tax, New York City Sales Tax, and New York City Hotel Room Occupancy Tax (usually called the "Hotel Tax").

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,423 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Room Charge

Yeah, there are nightly occupancy charges.

Nyc (Upper West...
Level Contributor
6,917 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Room Charge

The tax on your hotel room in NYC is $3.50 per day plus 13.375 percent of the total charge

nova scotia
Level Contributor
139 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Room Charge

Yes, it says it's the room rate plus 13.375% plus $3.50 per night- no other explanation.

Maybe it's to pay for catfood for Matida the hotel mascot!

Nyc (Upper West...
Level Contributor
6,917 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Room Charge

This is a breakdown of these numbers: The hotel occupancy tax for hotel rooms with a cost of more than $40 per night (as if there could be one for less!) is $3.50 per room per night plus 5 percent of the total room charge. Add to this 8.375 percent New York City sales tax, also on the total charge.

nova scotia
Level Contributor
139 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Room Charge

Thanks- was it in the 20's that you could get a room for $40.00!

9. Re: Room Charge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2009, 12:23