We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

upper west side.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
421 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
upper west side.

Will be spending 10 days with my 17 year old daughter in NYC in early july. We know manhattan fairly well and like the upper west side. However, we cannot make up our mind about the hotel. Has anyone comments to make on THE BEACON OR ON THE AVENUE OR LUCERNE OR THE EXCELSIOR. Usually we have rented an apartment with other family members but this time there is only the two of us. Thank you

Mentioned in this post
The Lucerne Hotel
The Lucerne Hotel
2,501 Reviews
New York City, NY
Bonnie Scotland
Level Contributor
303 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: upper west side.

I recently stayed on the UWS in a hotel called Park 79. Its right up the street from The Lucerne, we passed it every day. I would recommend having a look at Park 79 we had a fantastic stay in this hotel and it was such a nice hotel. We really liked it here and I recommend it. I dont know about the ones you have mentioned, the Lucerne looked nice from the outside and I have heard Beacon is a nice hotel.

It is such a nice area up there, and if you end up staying at Lucerne there is a great place for breakfast bagels across the street called Ottamenelli Bros. Loved this area.

Mentioned in this post
The Lucerne Hotel
The Lucerne Hotel
2,501 Reviews
New York City, NY
Hotel Beacon
Hotel Beacon
4,088 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,591 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: upper west side.

I think it depends on whether you want a suite with a kitchen. On the Avenue is newest/freshest but I think their suites are very expensive. But if all you need is a room, I think On the Ave or the Lucerne are probably nicest of the bunch. The Beacon (and the Milburn) are mostly suites with kitchens but a little dated/dowdy. The Excelsior is nice with fresh furniture but very traditional. They have a few suites with kitchens but mostly regular hotel rooms.

Mentioned in this post
The Lucerne Hotel
The Lucerne Hotel
2,501 Reviews
New York City, NY
Hotel Beacon
Hotel Beacon
4,088 Reviews
New York City, NY
The Milburn Hotel
The Milburn Hotel
1,195 Reviews
New York City, NY
Excelsior Hotel
Excelsior Hotel
2,188 Reviews
New York City, NY
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: upper west side.

I can state that On The Avenue is very nice. My only caution would be for three of you (assuming your daughter will be in the same room), the rooms might tend to be a bit on the small size. I see on their website they do have double double rooms, so that would probably work for you. The staff was very friendly and helpful to me.

The hotel is a short walk to the subway, so you're just minutes away from midtown. I think the UWS is a great part of the city in which to stay.

Enjoy your visit!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
421 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: upper west side.

thanks for the hints. will look up park 79 and see what its like. However, On the Avenue looks pretty good too so i will check that too. By the way it will only be the 2 of us travelling my husband and other kids arebusy hence this time we are not renting an apartment. I love the upper west side because in the evenings you can stroll around like a true neighborhood.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
414 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: upper west side.

I've put people up in On the Avenue and yes, the rooms are teeny (only time I ever saw a room that small was on a trip to Paris once!)

I can't comment on the others as I've never viewed their rooms.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: upper west side.

I stayed @ the Excelsior with my teen daughter on 2 occasions(got good $deals on hotel .com one time;travelocity,I think,the 2nd time),as it is so close to Central Park West,the Museum of Nat'l history,and the NY historical Society-they were priorities on one trip.

It is "old fashioned"(i don't think there was even a coffee maker in room),but there are great restaurants/food stores west of there,and the hotel was clean,neat,quiet. The location,not amenities,is what we were after.My daughter was 17,then 18 ,on these trips. we found the hotel comfortable,and ,if booked early,you'll probably get a good price. I've not been to either Lucerne or Beacon(report back on which one you chose,and how you liked it!)

Mentioned in this post
Excelsior Hotel
Excelsior Hotel
2,188 Reviews
New York City, NY
Central Park West Hostel
Central Park West Hostel
59 Reviews
New York City, NY
The Museum at FIT
The Museum at FIT
184 Reviews
New York City, NY
The Lucerne Hotel
The Lucerne Hotel
2,501 Reviews
New York City, NY
Hotel Beacon
Hotel Beacon
4,088 Reviews
New York City, NY
West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: upper west side.

I've never seen the rooms at any of the UWS hotels. It is my favorite neighborhood though, I don't think you can go wrong with any of those. My impression from the reviews and photos is to lean toward the Lucerne. That said, if one has amenities that appeal to you, go for it.

Mentioned in this post
The Lucerne Hotel
The Lucerne Hotel
2,501 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York City
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: upper west side.

the beacon and excelsior are both great and have been redone in the past few years. My parents almost always stay at one of those two when they come to visit.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: upper west side.

I had a wonderful stay at The Lucerne, at a good price with exceptional service. I have toured rooms in The Excelsior thought it was charming as well. The Upper West Side is vibrant and a wonderful place to be part of from my experience.

Mentioned in this post
The Lucerne Hotel
The Lucerne Hotel
2,501 Reviews
New York City, NY
Excelsior Hotel
Excelsior Hotel
2,188 Reviews
New York City, NY
Upper West Side
Upper West Side
804 Reviews
New York City, NY
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
421 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: upper west side.

Hi again,

Thank you for all your help regarding hotels on UWS. At themoment the Lucerne is winning with us but we are about to compare prices. will report back. We have stayed in UWS before and love the area, lots of locals and good restaurants. Plus great subway connections

Mentioned in this post
The Lucerne Hotel
The Lucerne Hotel
2,501 Reviews
New York City, NY