We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Theatre Options for Teens

UK
Level Contributor
111 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Theatre Options for Teens

Hi

will be in NYC this Summer, thinking about taking two teens to theatre, wondered if anyone's got any suggestions. To give you an idea of what they like, they love music, we have seen quite a few shows in London, I guess their favourite there was We Will Rock You, last year we saw Love in Vegas which was amazing, have already seen Lion King and think Beauty and Beast may be a bit young for one of them.

I've looked so far at Hairspray and Jersey Boys, what d'you all recommend, that's if we can get tickets .

thanks

Lynne

New York, NY
Level Contributor
9,648 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Theatre Options for Teens

Can't go wrong with Hairspray. Jersey Boys is wonderful but it is the hottest ticket in town. There is langauge and some adult content.

Consider Wicked, Mary Poppins & Legally Blond.

Depending on their ages, there is Spring Awakening (this one has se.ual content), Mamma Mia & Avenue Q (also with more adult content).

Off Broadway - Stomp & Blue Man Group may fit the bill, same with Altar Boyz.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,925 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Theatre Options for Teens

NYCgirl has given you the best of the best. ;) I think I'd add Avenue Q (can't remember if that was mentioned). That has some adult content though (but I took a 14 yr old who thought it was "awesome"). If the teens are girls, they seem to love Wicked, but that's not an easy ticket.

Ohio
Level Contributor
8,555 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Theatre Options for Teens

My 15 year old loved Spamalot.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Theatre Options for Teens

Jersey Boys;wicked are terrific..my daughters also loved Curtains,spamalot;Blue Man Group,and Stomp..any of these will be worth it

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,069 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Theatre Options for Teens

Hi,

I think 'Wicked' would be perfect for teens. It's a fun play with many memorable songs, great special effects and wonderful costumes...it has everything you want in a great broadway musical. My daughter has even went back to see it a second time she liked it so much.

It also has some really nice tshirts and other fun momentos from the show.

Jersey Boys is a great show but in my opinion not the number one show for teens.

ohio
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Theatre Options for Teens

I recently saw Wicked...I'd say go with that one. It's AMAZING. you're teens will adore it.

New York City
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Theatre Options for Teens

Lots of good suggestions, but Hairspray is probably your best bet overall because it's fairly easy to get tickets for that one (Wicked and Jersey Boys tix are hard to come by). Not sure if your teens are boys or girls, but Hairspray is especially liked by girls. For boys, Spamalot might be a good option.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
210 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Theatre Options for Teens

I agree Hairspray is a good choice. My daughter loved it. In June, we are seeing off-Broadway Altar Boyz, which is a big hit w/teen girls. You would probably be able to get discounted tickets. Check out the reviews for both on Broadway Box.

We're also seeing Wicked, but I think it's still very difficult to get tickets unless you are willing to pay premium prices, which is also true for Jersey Boys. I bought my Wicked tickets in January!

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,666 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Theatre Options for Teens

I agree with everyone here. We saw Spamalot last weekend and my son was thrilled to finally see what he deemed a "male musical" meaning boys like it. Having said that, he loved Wicked! My daughter really enjoyed Spamalot but her favorite is still Wicked. Moms

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Theatre Options for Teens

Wicked, Spamalot and Avenue Q are tops of the list for my 15-year-old niece. She is THRILLED to be going to see Spamalot as she loves the "Holy Grail" movie so much.