We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ellen's Stardust Diner and John's Pizzeria

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
179 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Ellen's Stardust Diner and John's Pizzeria

Forgot to mention that we are planning to eat at these 2 establishments while we're in the city and it looked to me like you can't make reservations at either with small groups. Any more info on how easy it is to get in during the weeknights around 5 or 6pm? Is there any way to call ahead for seating or is it just show up and wait? Thanks again - Robyn in MD

Scranton...
Level Contributor
2,466 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ellen's Stardust Diner and John's Pizzeria

I was very excited to eat at Ellen's Stardust Diner last month, but we had a terrible dining experience there. Long story, but I would suggest not going when they might be busy. Unfortunately, the service does not take priority over their karaoke singing! I read great reviews about this place, and we were disappointed.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
179 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ellen's Stardust Diner and John's Pizzeria

Any others out there who recommend staying away from Ellen's?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,400 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ellen's Stardust Diner and John's Pizzeria

We have been twice. First time ok and the singing was kinda cool. Went again and had a horrible experience. I could have gotten a better hamburger at McDonalds and the service may have been the worst in the country. This may have been an isolated incident but we will NOT return.

Scott

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,400 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ellen's Stardust Diner and John's Pizzeria

In my previous post I was referring to an experience at Ellens, not Johns.

Chipper

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
637 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Ellen's Stardust Diner and John's Pizzeria

My advice? Go to ellen's for breakfast, dessert or appetizers. I usually always take friends there when they are visiting NYC...and the last two times 1- we had severly undercooked chicken. I bit into a raw chicken finger. And the 2nd time our burgers were raw and not warm in the center. Also, don't go if you're in a rush...it's not a fast typical diner experience.

I love the atmosphere with singing etc but we've been sticking to going for dessert and munchies post show as of late.

Ellen's tends to get busy, but I'm sure if you went by 5:30 on a weekday you should be fine, esp if it's a night all the theaters are dark (Mon and Tues) Same goes for John's.

As for John's...GO THERE!! Great pizza and their vodka rigatoni isn't so shabby either.

Roanoke, Virginia
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Ellen's Stardust Diner and John's Pizzeria

I've been to Ellen's several times and have always had a great time. We tend to end up there at off times (middle of the afternoon or around 10 at night). We've never had to wait and service was slow but bearable. The singing is a great time and love the diner atmosphere!

Scranton...
Level Contributor
2,466 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ellen's Stardust Diner and John's Pizzeria

Whereabouts is John's in relation to Ellen's? Is it in the Broadway area? It sounds delicious!!

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
637 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Ellen's Stardust Diner and John's Pizzeria

John's is on 44th street. Btwn Times Sq and 8th avenue (but closer to the 8th ave side). If you're headed there from Times Sq, it's on the left hand side. It's across the street from Phantom of the Opera. And right next to where the Producers was.

Great brick oven pizza! My friends and I usually order the garlic bread with cheese too.

If you're going on a weekend ,John's gets quite crowded by 6pm for the pre theater crowd..so we try to go for an earlier dinner.

CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ellen's Stardust Diner and John's Pizzeria

We recently went to Ellen's for a light lunch/snack before a matinee. Loved the location, food was ok for what it was (soup, bagels etc), but they added a gratuity (we were only a party of 4) which I admit irritated me a bit. She probably got less than I would left on my own.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
77 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ellen's Stardust Diner and John's Pizzeria

Never went to Ellen's, but went to John's and loved it. Best pizza I had in New York.