We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Empire Outlets mall set to open mid November 2018

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
19,288 posts
17 reviews
Empire Outlets mall set to open mid November 2018

http://www.empireoutletsnyc.com/

Right at the ferry terminal on Staten Island, I can see this becoming a shopping destination for many visitors.

"It will host approximately 100 shops of the finest brands, an extensive array of waterfront food and beverage concepts and a 190 room boutique hotel with rooftop lounge offering unparalleled views of New York City. "

61 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
8,437 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Empire Outlets mall set to open mid November 2018

I am eagerly waiting for it. Perhaps i will accrue more SI visits, which rarely happens if ever for me :( !!!!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
19,288 posts
17 reviews
2. Re: Empire Outlets mall set to open mid November 2018

It will be very easy to get to, not like other outlet centres. Much better than Woodbury Common for example.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
8,437 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Empire Outlets mall set to open mid November 2018

Yes...i am actually very excited, from the rendering of it ..it looks pretty good. I think it will dramatically reduce the number of people going to either Jersey Gardens or WC.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
13,111 posts
34 reviews
4. Re: Empire Outlets mall set to open mid November 2018

A much better location for tourists,and locals.

Greenwich Village...
Level Contributor
4,263 posts
35 reviews
5. Re: Empire Outlets mall set to open mid November 2018

sounds interesting.....

Wonder what impact the visitors who will go to shop will have on commuters? Or if any of the shops will have quality merchandise at real discount or just the schlock specially manufactured for outlet malls which has become the norm at Woodbury Commons?

But I’ll certainly venture over for a look after it opens, especially if they have interesting food options with a view.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
19,288 posts
17 reviews
6. Re: Empire Outlets mall set to open mid November 2018

I wonder if everything will be up and running from Day 1 though.

I can't see 100 stores being fully operational.

Actually, they say on their website that "50% rented in initial round".

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
19,288 posts
17 reviews
7. Re: Empire Outlets mall set to open mid November 2018

There's definitely going to be an impact on the ferry. Whether it will be a big impact immediately or a gradual impact remains to be seen.

The marketing says "finest brands" but this could mean merchandise specially made for the outlets and not so good quality.

It looks huge though.

Then there's the Wheel nearby.........SI will be the new "it" destination in NYC. I bet visitors love it.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
277 posts
206 reviews
8. Re: Empire Outlets mall set to open mid November 2018

Ha ha ha , it's the 3rd time they're supposedly going to open. But there's no date set other than "late November" and its opening was postponed a year ago to coincide with the opening of the now defunct NY Wheel that is the abandoned construction site right next to it. They claim there are going to be 100 stores but I haven't seen more than a few dozen actually named, and there is no list available anywhere. They still can't fill their restaurant space, and everything in the place is stuff you can get at any mall or outlet with less hassle than going there. It is a nightmare for the Staten Island ferry commuters who have had this mess in their way for years now and it's doubtful the mall will be successful without the Wheel as a draw for tourists. Why spend an hour or more round trip to shop on SI and then haul your purchases home on public transportation? Doesn't sound like my way of shopping.

Lots of hype about nothing; let's see when it really opens.

Oh and if you consider Shake Shack, Nathan's, a pizza place, and a hibachi chain out of Ohio as "interesting" food options go for it.

Of course the merchandise will be cheap outlet stuff.

Edited: 23 August 2018, 01:24
Greenwich Village...
Level Contributor
4,263 posts
35 reviews
9. Re: Empire Outlets mall set to open mid November 2018

>>Why spend an hour or more round trip to shop on SI and then haul your purchases home on public transportation? <<

well, all the visitors from overseas who make a much longer trip from NYC to Woodbury Commons (by the bus load) might find this an easier & more scenic trip to shop.

I personally don’t see the point of going to Woodbury Commons, but this could be a better alternative — if/when it actually turns into something. I’d take a ferry ride to at least check it out......if/when. (I have no problem sclepping my purchases from Century 21 home on public transportation.)

Edited: 23 August 2018, 01:33
New York City
Level Contributor
6,476 posts
77 reviews
10. Re: Empire Outlets mall set to open mid November 2018

IMO its a good location for tourists, but a terrible one for locals, Its hard to get to from People in Brooklyn, Queens or the Bronx unless you have a car, and if you have a car you have better options without having to pay a $17 toll and its not near the highway.

People in Brooklyn , Queens and The bronx have other Mall or outlet options

Reply to: Empire Outlets mall set to open mid November 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted