We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday rental

Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Holiday rental

Hi, my family and I are travelling to nyc in dec this year and I have found an awesome 2 bdrm apartment on a website called beecroftapartmentsmanhattan it says it is at 136east 56 th st and it is a great price. It may be too good to be true as I can’t find anymore information on google about it. The host a John Beecroft has said all I have to do is fill out a form and then he will send me payment details. Also apparently I can’t use credit card. Payment methods are bank transfer, western union,money gram or PayPal. What do you think?

Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
1,288 Reviews
from US$89.99*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
149 Reviews
from US$175.00*
Best Seller
NYC One World Observatory...
554 Reviews
from US$34.00*
35 replies to this topic
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
19,189 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Holiday rental

You need a hotel or apartment style hotel

Apartment rentals in NYC are mostly illegal. Some are scams.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
19,189 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Holiday rental

**Payment methods are bank transfer, western union,money gram or PayPal. What do you think?**

What do I think?

I think you will lose your money!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
26,425 posts
67 reviews
3. Re: Holiday rental

I think it is a scam.

if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Holiday rental

Yes I thought that may be the case, I’d hate to get there at 11pm with no accommodation!

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Cape May, Jersey Shore
Level Contributor
3,183 posts
69 reviews
5. Re: Holiday rental

I think you will lose your money and have no place to stay.

Guadalajara, Mexico
Destination Expert
for San Luis Potosi, Zacatecas
Level Contributor
4,519 posts
6. Re: Holiday rental

You can send any one of us your money instead, we are nice and would return it! Please do not be idiots travellers, anybody who does not accept a credit card and wants you to send a cash equivalent is a simple bandit.

USA
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
16,136 posts
30 reviews
7. Re: Holiday rental

Definitely sounds like a scam.

The vast majority of rentals are illegal. You'd be hard pressed to find a legal rental in Manhattan due to building size.

Read this:

https:/…Vacation.Apartment.Rentals.html

Your best bet is a hotel. They are plentiful for a reason.

USA
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
16,136 posts
30 reviews
8. Re: Holiday rental

If you want to read about terrible experiences/warnings, here is another link that is under the Top Questions about NYC:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763…

Philly Suburbs
Level Contributor
656 posts
119 reviews
9. Re: Holiday rental

According to their FAQ, price includes VAT. Not sure where you are from but there is no such thing as VAT in the US. This is clear sign of a scam. Also many non- American spellings. Good thing you asked first before sending money.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
20,256 posts
10. Re: Holiday rental

According to the Department of Building records that address is an elevator building so definitely not legal for short term rentals (Only one or two family houses are potentially legal)

Besides the big red flag of wanting payment in a form they can easily steal from you, the site has numerous spelling errors, non-American spellings and claims things like "VAT is included" - when there are no such taxes in the US.

There are legal hotels that offer apartment-style amenities.

For help finding a legal place to stay start a fresh thread with a title that will get the attention of the hotel experts.

When you repost specify: 1) travel dates 2) room/bed configuration needed and 3) hotel budget in US$

Edited: 08 September 2018, 01:55
Reply to: Holiday rental
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted