We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where and how?

Weert, The...
Level Contributor
143 posts
82 reviews
Where and how?

My wife and I are in the city this November for 3 nights. My wife is afraid of escalaters. Do you recommend coming in by train from Newark? It's my 4th time in New York, my wife's 1st. I usually take the subway. Are there stairways in and out of every subway station? Further I'm looking into an interesting offer on Travelzoo at the Wyndham Garden Chinatown for $200/night incl. tax. I like Lower east Side and East VIllage. Any other options for the hotel?

Thank You.

Rick

9 replies to this topic
Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
13,484 posts
31 reviews
1. Re: Where and how?

If you look at a NYC subway map, the stations with little wheelchair symbols have elevators available. As you'll see, most don't.

http://web.mta.info/maps/submap.html

You can see a full station by station list at:

web.mta.info/accessibility/stations.htm

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
9,235 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Where and how?

But every single station has staircases. Only a few have escalators. But even those have staircases.

And about three stations, that you will probably never use, require elevators because they are nearly 200 feet below ground; and none are in areas that visitors go to.

I'd still say come by train from EWR. There are staircases from the platform to the main part of Penn Station, and staircases to the subway and staircases to the street. You never need take an escalator. I have a a couple of relatives who dislike escalators intensely, so I understand.

Level Contributor
844 posts
58 reviews
3. Re: Where and how?

Yes, there are stairs into and out of all subway stations. Some stations have two or more levels that are connected by stairs, and some of those stairs can be quite long.

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
24,296 posts
20 reviews
4. Re: Where and how?

Elevators and escalators are different.More stations have elevators than escalators but they all have stairs. As long as your wife is in good shape, she can manage the subway stairs or take the elevators where they exist. Or take the bus.If you have a lot of luggage, the Airtrain/train can be difficult. If not, its manageable. There is the Airport Express that goes into the city,easier with lots of suitcases.After a long flight, you may be too tired for public transportation; you can get a taxi,Uber or car service. whatever suits your circumstances is what I recommend.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,326 posts
25 reviews
5. Re: Where and how?

Wyndham Garden Chinatown is a good place to stay. It looks like that rate gives you free cancellation up until 7 days prior. What would be really ideal is if you could upgrade to a higher floor room (with great views through floor-to-celing windows). The rooms being offered on Travel Zoo are lower floor, so no skyline views and more street noise.

Still, I think it's a good deal and a fun location. It's on the edge of Chinatown but very near LES. I've stayed there. Plusses were a nice fridge for your own use and views (which you might not have). Minus was that the room had only a desk chair and no other seating, and only one bed table, with the other side of the bed near a wall. It's possible that some rooms are laid out differently.

I think it's a really good option for the price. Book it. You can always change your mind.

Edited: 20 September 2018, 22:31
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,326 posts
25 reviews
6. Re: Where and how?

I should have asked what are your dates? November prices fluctuate and that price is a better deal for some days than for others. But you can still keep shopping and cancel if something else comes up closer to the date.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
104,443 posts
12 reviews
7. Re: Where and how?

The issue is dealing with luggage. While there are stairs at every train station, carrying luggage up them is hard for most people. Same issue at the airport. If you can manage all the luggage on an escalator while your wife takes the stairs, you'll be fine. I would not count on elevators anywhere. They're rarer, often broken and when they work, they often smell terrible.

I agree the hotel is fun and the area is good. If she's okay climbing stairs in the subway, you,ll be fine. If she doesn't climb stairs well, since this is her first visit, you might want to consider staying in midtown.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
18,990 posts
17 reviews
8. Re: Where and how?

Another hotel only a few minutes walk away is the Hotel 50 Bowery. What I like about that one is the rooms at the front have an awesome view of the Manhattan Bridge, and the hotel has a rooftop area with great views of the city.

The hotel currently has a "Book While It's Hot, Stay When It's Cool" promotion with up to 30% off room rates. Maybe plug in your dates and see what rooms and rates come up.

https:/…specials

This promotion only lasts until September 30th for stays through December.

And you don't have to pre-pay.

Edited: 21 September 2018, 00:21
Weert, The...
Level Contributor
143 posts
82 reviews
9. Re: Where and how?

Thank you Guys!

Reply to: Where and how?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted