We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Years Eve at 230 Fifth Rooftop Bar

Melbourne, Australia
3 posts
New Years Eve at 230 Fifth Rooftop Bar

Just wondering if anyone has attended NYE at 230 Fifth Rooftop Bar? I’m generally seeing mixed reviews, some say that it’s very touristy and overpriced. Some rave about it. Has anyone been at NYE and was it worth the money?we’re looking at booking the igloo. Thanks for your advice!

10 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
20,503 posts
1. Re: New Years Eve at 230 Fifth Rooftop Bar

On New Year's Eve almost every place is overpriced. It depends on what your overall budget is and if doing this would prevent you from doing other things you want.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
4,435 posts
49 reviews
41 helpful votes
2. Re: New Years Eve at 230 Fifth Rooftop Bar

I'm hesitant to use the term "overpriced." It's priced at what the market will bear. If that is not how you want to spend your money, don't. "Worth it?" I don't think it's worth MY money on any given night, I'm not a fan. But if you like the idea of an igloo on a rooftop, can afford it, and it's what you want to do, then it's worth it to YOU. If you're with friends/family people you like, who cares who else is there? You're a tourist, why would it bother you if other tourists, just like you, were there?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
5,123 posts
18 reviews
38 helpful votes
3. Re: New Years Eve at 230 Fifth Rooftop Bar

I’ve enjoyed my two visits to 230 Fifth Ave including one cold November in one of the igloos. Worth it is highly subjective, both of my visits was free save for a couple of beverages.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
8,554 posts
3 reviews
4 helpful votes
4. Re: New Years Eve at 230 Fifth Rooftop Bar

My friends have done it. They liked their experience. 230 5th has recently renovated. I personally like 230 5th.

Melbourne, Australia
3 posts
5. Re: New Years Eve at 230 Fifth Rooftop Bar

We’re travelling from Australia so would like to have a good experience and we estimate the night would cost $200 - $450 AUD for NYE in the city. So we’re allowing for that.

The other place we looked at was Monarch Rooftop Bar.

Edited: 06 October 2018, 00:43
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
20,503 posts
6. Re: New Years Eve at 230 Fifth Rooftop Bar

Have you looked to see if they have minimums on NYE? Also the price of a party is often very different from the price of just a couple of drinks. Have you included the 20% tip for the waitstaff?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
8,554 posts
3 reviews
4 helpful votes
7. Re: New Years Eve at 230 Fifth Rooftop Bar

You can get a table for 2 or more. The premium bar is open and works well. I done similar at another Hotel and its totally doable. You can just tip the bartender what you see fit when you are getting drinks at the bar, usually its minimal.

https:/…

Guadalajara, Mexico
Destination Expert
for San Luis Potosi, Zacatecas
Level Contributor
4,883 posts
8. Re: New Years Eve at 230 Fifth Rooftop Bar

You are only going to get tourists at these places on New Years Eve because locals will be at home or at their neighborhood joints or travelling or working. New Years Eve in New York is a tourist event. If you want something not touristy you have to save countless dollars in hotels and go to Portland, Maine or Boston or Philadelphia. NYC NYE is just to milk money off of tourists, hey do not bother losing my post, there will be tourists to replace these - its the "as seen on TV" phenomenon..

Edited: 06 October 2018, 02:46
Melbourne, Australia
3 posts
9. Re: New Years Eve at 230 Fifth Rooftop Bar

Thanks everyone for your advice, handy points. Yes I did consider graduity. I think at this stage I’ll stop overthinking it and keep it simple. Like someone said what’s important is what company you have. That’s definitely true! I’m just so excited to be in New York over winter. Can’t wait.

Thankyou for the helpful advice 🙂

10. Re: New Years Eve at 230 Fifth Rooftop Bar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 06 October 2018, 10:00

Reply to: New Years Eve at 230 Fifth Rooftop Bar
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted