We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

steak and wine

Blackburn, England
Level Contributor
60 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
steak and wine

you will have to forgive me for my lack of knowledge about wine that goes with steak. i'm reading some good reviews about places to go for a good steak (del frescos is our option) and the wine that they drink.i'm not a wine drinker but should i be having wine just for the sake of it or is there a reason for having the wine?

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
5,600 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: steak and wine

I would say no, do not have wine for wine's sake.

Wine can be a nice accompaniment with steak but so can a cocktail, beer, iced tea or coca cola. It's really up to you and your personal preferences.

But I also think wine is an acquired taste. If you are curious, go to a wine store and ask the clerk to recomend a bottle or two of different types, and see if you like it.

In fine dining places, wine is often the beverage of choice. But it is not the only one. There are many people who for one reason or another do not consume alcohol. So they won't be drinking wine with their steak. At Peter Luger's, the wine list is so poor, I just drink their house beer whch they keep on tap.

Italian restaurants often serve limonata and aranciata, lemon or orange sodas, which aren't too sweet and also go well with the cuisine.

My husband, quite often will just drink tap water with his meal. Or sometimes a cup of coffee. That's okay too.

Blackburn, England
Level Contributor
60 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: steak and wine

thank you voyagereuse, that's good to know that i don't have to drink something i'm not keen on. i think water is a good choice i never thought of. that could clear the mouth of any taste so i can get the best from the steak. maybe. thanks again.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: steak and wine

Perfectly put, Voy.

lee69, I love Del Fresco's, but have you read Voy's review of Landmarc? It sounds wonderful, and about half the price. You might want to consider it instead or in addition.

Blackburn, England
Level Contributor
60 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: steak and wine

oh! man. just had a quick look at Landmarcs menu and it shows a lot more options than most. the problem with new york is that there are so many great options for food that only new yorkers have time to pick and choose places to eat at. we are there for a week so maybe we could fit Landmarcs in as well. thank you battina for the extra help.

only 7 weeks to go.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: steak and wine

I totally agree, Voy!

"Wine can be a nice accompaniment with steak but so can a cocktail, beer, iced tea or coca cola. "

Before I read Voy's response, I also thought of iced tea and Coke!

lee69 - Here's my mini-summary of the goal of pairing wine (or any beverage) with steak. You want to get your mouth ready for the next bite! Steak is very rich, flavorful and all marbled and fatty - in a good way! So any crisp drink that helps "clean" or "dry up" your mouth a bit will feel refreshing.

Blackburn, England
Level Contributor
60 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: steak and wine

this just gets better and better.

my choice of drink is rum (captain morgans) and coke.

thank you queens

Briarcliff Manor...
Level Contributor
552 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: steak and wine

Wine and steak do go together much better than other drink combinations. Sometimes I enjoy a martini or two with my steak..

If wine is something that you would like to try, consider a glass or two with your steak. Personally, Iike mine rare and a nice Cabernet Savignon goes well, Bordeaux, or a Tuscan from Italy.

Usually the fat in the steak and the juices are a nice combo with the fruit and/or tannins in the wine. If you are more confused dont be afraid to ask the Sommelier at the restaurant.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: steak and wine

In addition, if you want to drink a 'lighter red', try a Pinot Noir.

Or, try something a little spicy, such as a (red) Zinfandel.

Ask your waiter for help. Even the 'cheap' wines will run you US$ 35., or 17 pounds. :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
868 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: steak and wine

i agree with voys assessment here regarding beverages with steaks.

having served and managed a few great steakhouses for years, ive seen all types of combos and although at times i wanted to gag, lol, i said nothing about their choices....

my personal favorites (esp in upscale establishments) are to start with a good scotch (johnny walker black or chevas) followed with a bottle of either a mid range cabernet or a cabernet/shiraz blend or perhaps even a red zinfandel. ask either the server, sommlier or even the manager on duty which they recommend as they do go through several tastings before putting them on their lists and know what their clientele orders. in some places you may even be permitted to taste a wine that they sell by the glass before you commit to either a glass or a bottle.

strangest request for a steak was a vodka (smirnoff) and a diet coke cocktail............

its all up to you, but do try and be a bit adventerous!!

10. Re: steak and wine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 17:18