We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotels outside the city

Moncton
Level Contributor
82 posts
1 review
Save Topic
hotels outside the city

hello.

can anyone recommend some hotels outside the city? perhaps a town or city not that far where we can still use the train/subway to get into new york city?

Thanks

Nyc (Upper West...
Level Contributor
6,907 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: hotels outside the city

There are some and I'm sure you will get recommendations. My recommendation is to get a hotel in Manhattan because that is where you will be spending most of your time. You don't want to waste a lot of time commuting back and forth to your hotel. Also, it will be difficult to go back to your hotel in the middle of the day which is something that is desirable most days. If your concern is cost, there are some less expensive hotels in Manhattan. When do you want to come?

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotels outside the city

How about a small geography lesson. You, like most others think Manhattan is NYC. ( don't read this as an insult, it is an observation--no negative implied or intended) NYC is 5 boros. The train goes to four of them. Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn and The Bronx. I live in Queens and there are a number of hotels in Queens, near subway lines. Unfortunately, I don't have personal experience with them and I hesitate to recommend any. BUT--there is no problem traveling to them and depending upon where you stay and where you are going it may be easier than staying in one end of Manhattan and traveling to another.

Moncton
Level Contributor
82 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: hotels outside the city

No, i do not think Manhattan is new york city. I an fully aware of the boroughs. thank you though. just wanted some recommendations OTHER THAN manhattan. I guess I should have mentioned that. It is far too costly to stay in Manhattan.

Nyc (Upper West...
Level Contributor
6,907 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: hotels outside the city

When are you coming, how many are you and what is the most per night you want to pay?

Moncton
Level Contributor
82 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: hotels outside the city

August is the plan. About 10 of us. Prefer to spend 120 per night or less. I know that sounds crazy, but is it possible?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hotels outside the city

Maybe possible, depending on your willingness to spend a lot of time on trains. Hotels around Newark airport are fairly reasonable but one does have to get out of the area to walk about or visit shops. Transport into Manhattan has it's price, which should be included in your nightly stay estimates. Have a wonderful visit to this beautiful city!

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hotels outside the city

If you wanted recommendations inside New York City but outside Manhattan, then you should have asked for recommendations outside Manhattan, instead of asking about hotels in a "town or city not that far away" -- which is what you did, in fact, ask. (And you're welcome...) The subway, incidentally, never crosses the New York City border, and so cannot be used to get to any other town or city, even those that are immediately adjacent to New York City. The PATH train, however, does go to New Jersey, but it is a separate system and connection points with the subway are limited.

Hotels in Queens and Brooklyn that are close to subway stations and that are not too far out include the Pan American and the La Quinta, both on Queens Boulevard, and the Holiday Inn Express on Union Street in Brooklyn.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
6,176 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hotels outside the city

Here are 2 hotels close to transportation, in Queens.

Ramada Adria -220-33 northern blvd Bayside new york

Extended Stay America

18-30 whitestone expressway

718-357-3661

also try bedandbreakfast.com for Queens- There is one b&b in Queens village connie's

Enjoy. These hotels are in a good location.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
6,176 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hotels outside the city

rdglady:

I learned a few things being on this forum . It is a constant battle when someones asks on here for a hotel outside of manhattan.The usual is always stay in manhattan from the most due to convenience.

I suggest what ever the traveler is looking for, as long as it a reasonable idea.It is up to the poster the final result. I suggest all places to stay. I felt the same way as you in the beginning on here, and you know what I will continue suggesting Queens when need be. We are just giving our opinion.People have different reasons for wanting to stay outside of Manhattan 1- MONEY.There are some reasonable hotels in manhattan, and the poster has to figure out the cost and time of travel vs convenience. It is sometimes cheaper to just stay in the city and sometimes not. It also depends if people are traveling by car etc.. Take care.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,496 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: hotels outside the city

Just keep in mind for 10 people to travel in and out of Manhattan everyday, the cost of transportation will add up. Even just a subway ride from Queens is either $4/person per day roundtrip just to get into town ($40) OR if you buy a subway pass for unlimited rides, that's still $24/person or $240.

The Pan American hotel is an ok budget hotel in Queens that's about 30-40 mins by subway or a bit longer by bus.

panamhotel.com

Closer to Manhattan but not nearly as nice an area, the Holiday Inn Express in Long Island City is another option.

Another option is one of the hotels near a PATH train (like a subway) in Jersey City. Some people have had good luck bidding for a 3* hotel in Jersey City on Priceline and winning either the Hyatt or the Doubletree Club-but assuming you need a bunch of rooms in the same hotel, bidding is not the best idea. (not all hotels in Jersey City will be near the PATH train, so be careful)

Just keep in mind, especially if you're with kids, that not having a place to drop off packages, rest, use a bathroom etc. in the middle of the day is a pain.

You might have a look at the Travel Inn in Manhattan which is a decent budget hotel.