We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget for New York

Charlotte
2 posts
Save Topic
Budget for New York

I'm flying from North Carolina with 4 teenagers to New York. I have already paid for flight, hotel and Phantom of the Opera tickets. We plan to eat at hot dog stands and pizza places for lunch, bagels and light items for breakfast. Our toughest challenge will be to find dinner that won't cost us an arm and a leg? Any suggestions? I'm thinking of taking $1000 with us. Can we manage on that?

New York City
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget for New York

How many days will you be here? A couple of suggestions: If your budget is tight eat a good breakfast and have a large lunch later in the day, then a light dinner (if that works for the kids). Lunch prices tend to be lower than dinner prices.

Or try one of the less expensive Italain resturants with prix fix menus. Drink water (again, will that work for the kids?)

PS $200 a day for food is doable here for 5.

Charlotte
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget for New York

We're staying 5 days. But I have to consider taxi cab fare and subway fare and miscellaneous stuff. It looks like I'm going to need more than $1000, huh?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,402 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget for New York

LOL. How can we possibly tell whether you can manage on that when

>we don't know whether these teens are boys or girls

>we don't know how long you're staying!!!!

It's not impossible to find inexpensive dinners or meals in general. The problem is many of the cheapest/best value places are not near tourist venues or in midtown. Here's a link to NY magazine's budget guide which gives good food info

nymetro.com/cheap

I agree that one way to budget is have your main meal at lunchtime when prices are cheaper and eat your pizza for dinner. Sounds like you should invest in a Zagat guide which not only gives reviews, but also has lists of places with prix fixe lunch and dinner menus.

Toronto
Level Contributor
237 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budget for New York

Another breakfast idea... if your room has a fridge, get some fruit, yoghurt, cream cheese for bagels, juice boxes, etc... to keep in there to eat in your room before you head out for the day. If it doesn't have a fridge, juice boxes don't need to be refridgerated and there are cereal bars you can get that don't need to be either. Much better to buy/eat that way than going out each day to a deli, etc... each day. Also, if you've got enough time, look around to buy an Entertainment Book for NYC (entertainment.com). It is full of 2-for-1 deals for everything - food, attractions, etc... There are more coupons than you could possibly use for your trip, but the savings really add up and it's well worth the investment.

5. Re: Budget for New York

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 14:16