We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitoes June

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
166 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitoes June

Hi There

Could anyone tell me if mosquitoes are problem in New York during the summer months? Being close to water I was thinking they may be a little more prevalent.

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
137 reviews
from US$175.00*
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,115 reviews
from US$199.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
999 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,389 reviews
from US$36.00*
New York
Level Contributor
1,809 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitoes June

It's not something I can say is ever a problem here.

We are surrounded by rivers. Since they are flowing bodies of water they don't breed Mosquitoes.

It might be more prevelent in an area like Central Park where there are lakes, But it's not something I've ever noticed here.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
101,000 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitoes June

Mosquitoes tend not to be too much of a problem in Manhattan. Since you won't be camping, I wouldn't be too concerned. ;)

rqf
New York City
Level Contributor
1,504 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitoes June

I live on the upper west side. i haven't seen nor have been bitten by one in many years.

Albany, New York
Destination Expert
for Albany
Level Contributor
2,377 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitoes June

You want "skeeters"? I got "skeeters". That's what we call mosquitoes in Upstate NY. If you are also feeling adventurous we can arrange a trip for you to the Adirondacks, at about this time of the year, for Black Fly season. Now that is a bite!

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
6,176 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitoes June

I live upstate New York as well .I would get a product called

Avon skin so soft to put on if you are worried about mosquitoes. I use it quite often and it does not smell bad either. If you were in the woods it is more of a problem then in the city. I really fear ticks before mosquitoes.

When there is a threat of mosquitoes like years ago , I recall helicopters around 1999 spraying pesticides due to fear of west Nile virus. I think you really should not have a problem.

Enjoy!